4-H-er thread!

Pics
So the 4H meeting just got done. I have the SR. Project for January 15. I'm going to bring a few chickens but I need to also do something that they can take home or use as a project at the achievement days. Any ideas?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with clueless parents!

So last week I saw a breeder advertising 1 dozen LF Black and Blue Cochin Eggs for $50 including shipping. I thought it was a pretty good deal so I was going to bring it up to my mom, when like usual my older sister interrupted me to tell my mom about something stupid, usually its a dream or school. I wasn't able to ask my mom until Tuesday evening, and she said we'll talk about it later. Well that didn't happen. They had to be paid for tonight and I asked her. She couldn't understand why I couldn't hatch eggs out of my current Cochins, I told her I could but why would I hatch 4 eggs!? I'd rather have 10+ eggs to hatch otherwise you don't get much of a selection. She also thought that I would hatch the eggs from the breeder and then sell them all 2017 spring. Which I was extremely confused about.
Her and my dad also got this stupid idea that I'm letting the Cochins hatch the eggs, I never once told them that.

She couldn't get through her head that I need more then 2 cockerels and 2 pullets to actual breed and get a sufficient amount of chicks along with good birds.
She didn't understand that so I tried explaining it to her by pointing out all the birds faults.
Gary(blue frizzle)- to big of comb, one crooked toe due to rough handling at sale, possibly small cushion
April(blue)- to small of cushion
Rue(blue)- to small of comb
No name cockerel(black)- red leakage
She still didn't understand...

I think next I'm going to AI April to NN Black Cockerel to get darker coloring along with better cushion.
And then Rue to Gary to give her offspring the correct comb and have some frizzles with a decent cushion

Also she was complaint about them being hatched in November. I don't think she understood that they would live in the coop..

Hey, I'm looking for a company to buy a CHEAP, backyard coop for 6+ chickens. Does anyone recommend a certain company or have any favorites?

Why not just make something for little money? I mean for bantams you'd just need 12sq feet minimum buys some 8 foot material and go from there

I'm sure I'm not the only one with clueless parents!

So last week I saw a breeder advertising 1 dozen LF Black and Blue Cochin Eggs for $50 including shipping. I thought it was a pretty good deal so I was going to bring it up to my mom, when like usual my older sister interrupted me to tell my mom about something stupid, usually its a dream or school. I wasn't able to ask my mom until Tuesday evening, and she said we'll talk about it later. Well that didn't happen. They had to be paid for tonight and I asked her. She couldn't understand why I couldn't hatch eggs out of my current Cochins, I told her I could but why would I hatch 4 eggs!? I'd rather have 10+ eggs to hatch otherwise you don't get much of a selection. She also thought that I would hatch the eggs from the breeder and then sell them all 2017 spring. Which I was extremely confused about.
Her and my dad also got this stupid idea that I'm letting the Cochins hatch the eggs, I never once told them that.

She couldn't get through her head that I need more then 2 cockerels and 2 pullets to actual breed and get a sufficient amount of chicks along with good birds.
She didn't understand that so I tried explaining it to her by pointing out all the birds faults.
Gary(blue frizzle)- to big of comb, one crooked toe due to rough handling at sale, possibly small cushion
April(blue)- to small of cushion
Rue(blue)- to small of comb
No name cockerel(black)- red leakage
She still didn't understand...

I think next I'm going to AI April to NN Black Cockerel to get darker coloring along with better cushion.
And then Rue to Gary to give her offspring the correct comb and have some frizzles with a decent cushion

Awe, I'm sorry. :( I'm fortunate enough that my parents understand a lot of "animal stuff", infact before my brother and I were born my mom was actually a vet tech.
Hey, I'm looking for a company to buy a CHEAP, backyard coop for 6+ chickens. Does anyone recommend a certain company or have any favorites?

Coops are usually always pretty expensive but you might want to take a look on Craiglist and see if anyone has good quality, used ones.

Back
Top Bottom