1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4-h show ?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by hoosierchicken, Sep 10, 2008.

1. hoosierchicken

hoosierchicken New Egg

Jul 29, 2008
    Indiana
    When do you generally get your chickens for a 4-h show in july? Thanks BG

2. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Our fair is the second week of July. We normally order them early so that they are fully feathered or they will not be competitive. I think the earlier the better but we have to have ours by May 1st, that is our 4-H rules. I think we had all of ours in March.

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

My daughter bought hers in August this year so they will be barely under a year old by next year's July fair. (she is a thinker that one!) Then she can show her ones she showed this year as over a year old. That way she can maximize her trip and get to show as many birds as she can.

The poultry judge told us anything under 9 months is not fully feathered enough to judge properly. So that can give you a guideline! Of course the meat pen birds normally are ready for butcher by 6-8 weeks so use that for a judgement. Also in our case, we have our fair then 4 weeks later is the state fair for our meat birds we have to have 2 batches or the ones we show at county would be to large by state.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by