4 male ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by just_me_and_my_peeps, Mar 4, 2011.

1. just_me_and_my_peeps

just_me_and_my_peeps In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    East Tennessee
    last spring I bought 3 mallard ducklings and 1 pekin duckling, they all turned out to be males. should I get a few females to put with them or will they start fighting, they all get along now. if so, how many females should I get? thanks

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I ended up with mostly males from ducklings I got last year. [​IMG] They'll continue to get along UNTIL you add a female. They will gang up on a female and fight for her attention. I'd probably get twice as many hens and you have drakes. Ideally I'd downsize the number of drakes, though.

3. just_me_and_my_peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    East Tennessee
    ok, thanks. that was my next question, I don't want alot of ducks, thanks again

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Oh Boy! I had 2 drakes and they got along fairly well but the kids got really tired of the attempted mounting. They'll take whatever they can get.

5. just_me_and_my_peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    East Tennessee
    thats funny!!! so far mine all get along. they will be a year this april. I was hoping I had a couple of females but I didnt. is there a way to tell the sexes when they are a couple weeks old?

6. Snipes

Snipes Songster

May 15, 2010
    I totally feel your pain, I have 3 drakes and no ducks. I originally hatched out 6, but gave 3 to a friend because I didn't think I could care for that many ducks, and all those turned out female (and then died from a darn raccoon). You can sex them by looking at their vents, but I would find someone to show you how to do it so that you don't hurt them in determining it. Ducks other than muscovies can be voice sexed, but you have to wait a bit for their voices to come it.

7. just_me_and_my_peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    East Tennessee
    sorry to hear about the females dying:( I had 7 hens and a rooster that I got last spring and a racoon got to them too, the next morning I only had 2 hens. I just got 6 more chicks a few days ago, hoping all are hens. I also got 2 more ducklings, mallards, hoping they are both female. how long have you had poultry? this is my second year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: