Male ducks fighting

duckmom216

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hi, so today my mallard decided to antagonize my jumbo pekin and pull at his chest and chase him around latched on. Once they got in the pool, my jumbo pekin decided to fight back holding the mallard under trying to defend himself because the mallard wasn’t giving up.
I only have 3 male ducks, 2 mallards 1 jumbo pekin… the other mallard is staying out of it. I’m not sure what i should do… i have them separated right now, but im not sure if i should rehome the 2 mallards and just get another male pekin that way i only have two ducks the same size. I’m just worried they’re going to seriously injure each other and I don’t want it to get that far.. any advice would be much appreciated!! thank you !

My muscovy drakes were very mean to my new, rescued, pekin drake when I let him out with the others after 4 weeks of see no touch. Well almost no touch: they managed to bite at eachother's bills through the bars of the dog pen which confined the pekin. But after a week of the poor newbie getting bullied and hiding in the shrubbery, he's got the measure of the muscovy. He now hangs out on the periphery of the muscovy clan and is just alert to avoiding passing bites. He's quite full of himself and comes quacking when I go to the side gate and talk to the boys. He has his own wading pool and sleeps in a dog crate in the duck house .

So I agree that if you only have drakes, let them sort their differences out. It varies from day to day who is Boss Duck among the muscovy; they are not nice to eachother as well as meanie to the pekin!

Back
Top Bottom