4 month old black silkie roo...

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Hello!
I have a 4 month old black silkie roo, who is not crowing, but he been trying to mount the hens, who aren'
Interested and run from him. In the process he keep grabbing onto to theirs and as the run away, bunches of feathers are being pulled out. The hens are now afraid of him. What should I do? Should I seperate him? I tried putting him with laying hens, but he is too passive with them, they attacked him.

Thanks!!☺

Last edited:
I have been having some problems with my boys being too rough with the girls also, why don't you try the see-but-no-touch method? Separate him with some wire, and allow him to see the girls; but don't let him hurt or touch the girls.

He is going through 'puberty' I guess you could say, so his hormones are crazy, and his testosterone is also going crazy. He will more than likely calm down after a while, best wishes! Keep us posted! :)

I put him in a portion of the cage with the older hens. There is a divider so they can look at eachother, but no physical contact. Since he's so rambunctious I hope I could house him with hens who are sexually mature. So far they want to beat him up, but maybe after a week or so they will accept him??

Yes, I'm 100% sure they will! (If not, let me know!) My mature hens "beat up" on my cockerels for a while, but now they are top dogs around the coop! :D

I'm sure your cockerel can take a little bit of rough housing, and believe me: Cockerels work their way up the pecking order, and with some given time, they will be dominant over the hens.

Well, he much taller than my mature hens, but he' not mature and they know it! Lol! For now I just want to give the young girls a break!

Yup, can't eveybody just get along!!!!! Isn' that how the song goes?? Lol!

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.☺

Back
Top Bottom