4 month old female? No eggs yet...

brandiskip

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2015
My cousin has this beautiful little button quail that we were sure is a female. She is paired with a known male and they do breed. However, she is 4 months old and hasn't laid an egg so we're doubting she is a female.

Looks like a female, but with that bib I like a full front photo, I do see some darker feathers in the vent area but that could just be her natural coloring do you see any reddish color there? Now the questions...
Where are you located at? Is it spring or fall/winter?
How much light do they get?
What are you feeding them?
How are the caged?

My cousin and myself both raise these sweet birds. We live in East TN and the buttons are inside. It's too cold for them not to be. Each pair is in a 3 sq feet area and there are hiding places for the females. She has her set up very similar to mine and I haven't had any problems with my girls laying. She had this pair with another pair but seperated them to keep them from fighting. I took her extra pair. We assumed her girl would start laying after removing the other male and female but she hasn't. She doesn't seem under any distress and the male doesn't seem aggresive toward her. We feed them a mix of several different things in order to make sure they get the protein and calcium needed.

They get about 10 hours of sunlight along with the lights in the house. I know they are all different but my buttons don't get anymore light than hers and I usually get an egg a day from my two that are old enough to lay.

Could be she is not laying because of the time of year, mine stop and then start again in a few months. It gives the hen a rest and they will live longer this way. I don't think I would worry unless you are trying to raise them then you might have to replace her, although she is sure a pretty bird. Good luck.

Could be she is not laying because of the time of year, mine stop and then start again in a few months. It gives the hen a rest and they will live longer this way. I don't think I would worry unless you are trying to raise them then you might have to replace her, although she is sure a pretty bird. Good luck.

Thank you so much! Hopefully she will eventually lay. We do raise them but they are also our pets so whether she lays or not, she'll have a good home. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.

I give mine 14 hours light and get an egg a day from each layer starting from 7-8 weeks from hatch.
I got a $4 timer from wally world and you can use the light socket from anything, or a clamp light.
Over 16 hours light they can become overly aggressive.
You want the light to come on BEFORE sunrise and NOT AFTER SUNSET.
Mine usually lay around 3-4, Eastern time.

I don't know if you can sex those quail like Coturnix,
But if the area BEHIND the vent is puffy, Gently squeeze towards the vent,
If you get white foamy stuff, it's a male, usually, unless it's a female VERY RECENTLY bred.
You can try a few times a day if you want, or separate for a day and try again.
That way there is no chance of a "female" having residual "foam."
The more volume of foam, the greater sexual activity from Male.
The foam is NOT semen, but is excreted I think from the kidneys.

Look up a sunrise sunset chart for your zipcode,
Be sure to adjust every two weeks or monthly.
That way, they are getting the 14 hours and not more or less.

Thank you! I haven't had any problems with my girls laying and we live right next to each other so I'm not sure why she's having such a hard time. Mine seem to get enough light. I get an egg a day right now from both my girls. I did forward her all your great tips. Thanks again. Maybe she will lay soon!

Back
Top Bottom