4 month old hen with sore on hock

RoadRunner18

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2019
Just reaching out to see if anyone has any sort of experience with what I'm dealing with here. I can't find anything online that's much like this except a slipped Achilles tendon in young chicks, and I'm thinking that's not what this is.
I have an approximately 4 month old hen who got bumblefoot on her right foot. It was pretty bad as she was limping from it, we got that taken care of pretty easily and she was doing well till it came back again.
We took care of it again about a week to na butweek and a half ago and noticed a sore on her left hock from where she must have started to catch herself when she'd
lose her balance since she couldn't put all her weight on her right foot due to the bumblefoot.
It didn't look infected or bad in any way at the time, but I put some Neosporin on it anyway. Now it's pretty swollen and a little warm, and now she doesn't put any weight on her left foot, just on the hock, when she tries to stand on her foot it slips. She's eating and drinking fine, she just can't get around.
Any ideas on what I could do to help her?

These first two pictures are from the sides, first the outside of the left leg, and then the inside of it.
IMG_20190818_174342.jpg
IMG_20190818_174330.jpg
this is looking at the back of the hock
IMG_20190818_174315.jpg

Staph infections are always something you need to watch for in chickens since if they injure themselves, the dirty environment quickly adds bacteria to the wound.

It appears from the swelling and the general appearance of the wound it could be infected. I would treat it as you would bumblefoot. Soak the wound, debride the dark material along with any waxy pus. Then spray with Vetericyn and put Neosporin on it and bandage. Clean the wound and redress each day until you see it's got new tissue covering the wound.

Staph infections are always something you need to watch for in chickens since if they injure themselves, the dirty environment quickly adds bacteria to the wound.

It appears from the swelling and the general appearance of the wound it could be infected. I would treat it as you would bumblefoot. Soak the wound, debride the dark material along with any waxy pus. Then spray with Vetericyn and put Neosporin on it and bandage. Clean the wound and redress each day until you see it's got new tissue covering the wound.
Thank you, I figured it might be something like that. I will try it today!

We took care of it again about a week to na butweek and a half ago and noticed a sore on her left hock from where she must have started to catch herself when she'd
lose her balance since she couldn't put all her weight on her right foot due to the bumblefoot.
It didn't look infected or bad in any way at the time, but I put some Neosporin on it anyway. Now it's pretty swollen and a little warm, and now she doesn't put any weight on her left foot, just on the hock, when she tries to stand on her foot it slips.

In addition to the suggestions you already received about treating that, she may benefit from being placed in a sling a few times a day. This will allow her to stand supported and hopefully the sore will begin to heal.

You mention that the bumblefoot came back on the bottom of her foot - do you have photos of that too?
What do you feed including treats? I would also give her some poultry vitamins that have Vitamin A and B2 (Riboflavin).

upload_2019-8-19_15-33-17.png

Sorry I didn't get to you sooner, I saw this but wasn't able to reply.
We have had her in a sling on and off for a few days, we have Marek's in our flock, and a couple of our chickens have become paralyzed in the legs because of it, so we had some made up already.
I am worried that might be what this is becoming, as she is getting more splay legged when out of the sling, she was vaccinated for it when she was a chick, but I know that doesn't always work. I will probably start giving her the collidial silver, which is what I've given the other chickens who've gotten hit with mareks- it does seem to help quite a bit- if she's not doing better in a couple days.
The bump on her leg has gone down a bit, but not a lot, I've been giving her some turmeric for an antibiotic, as I've read that works well for bumblefoot and other infections, and I've cleaned the spot on her leg and put Neosporin on it, it looks to be healing alright, but like I said, it's still more swollen than I'd like it to be.
I'm still open to suggestions on how best to help my little girl.

Back
Top Bottom