4 month old pullet alert!

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
I have this 4 month old legbar who got pecked in the eye and we don't know how long she's been running around like that. We had it happen to an orpington we have but we caught her early, and healed it by keeping it clean and putting "nfz puffer " on it. We've been doing this on her but no progress, it has scabbed over and has two big bumps and her eye is sealed shut.
20221205_145941.jpg

I would try to use a warm wet washcloth for a compress to try and soften it, and get the eye open. The I would flush the eye with eye wash or saline, and put a dab of Terramycin eye ointment or Triple Antibiotic twice a day. Hopefully, the eyeball in intact.

I would try to use a warm wet washcloth for a compress to try and soften it, and get the eye open. The I would flush the eye with eye wash or saline, and put a dab of Terramycin eye ointment or Triple Antibiotic twice a day. Hopefully, the eyeball in intact.
We compress the eye with a warm washcloth already, and we then put the nfz puffer on it and soak it with the warm washcloth, so they eye already gets a warm compress.

Can you get the eye open now to look at the eye, to make sure there are no bubbles, gunk, and that the eye is not injured? Eye drops or ointment should be used a few rimes a day after flushing the eye with saline for about a week.

Can you get the eye open now to look at the eye, to make sure there are no bubbles, gunk, and that the eye is not injured? Eye drops or ointment should be used a few rimes a day after flushing the eye with saline for about a week.
We can't get open as it is scabbed over, even though we've been using as said as well as the warm washcloth. We're going to get an actual ointment today so maybe that will help.

I would,keep applying a warm wet compress and hold her for 15 minutes while it softened the scab and crust. You really need to get the eye open for any medicine to work. You can make saline by adding 2 tsp of table salt to a quart/liter of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes and cool it. Place it in a clean jar. You can also buy saline at your pharmacy.

Back
Top Bottom