4 month old pullet looking/ acting very ill

Kelly FG

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Ridge
Started several days ago, she's normally the boss of my younger flock. Now she's lethargic, staying away from the youngs girls and hanging out near my two 9.5 year old hens that mostly sleep under their coop all day.
None of the girls in the younger flock have started laying yet, I don't think she's egg bound, she was 4 months on 8/24, she's a buff orp.
On Sunday I gave her a bath because she smelled sort of oily, I thought she got into tiki torch oil from a torch that blew down in the storm.
Gave her a nice warm bath with dish soap, she sat with me for hours while I dried her but by the next day I think she has a funny smell again.
I've never had a sour crop so I'm not sure if that's what it is.
I've got wazine in the water for everyone as a precaution.
Her poop is super loose with runny whitish color stuff, almost looks like egg but it's not, it has some solid pieces of green poop that is the color of grass. Not normal looking, I can't find anything online that is an exact match.
We only have one vet around here that treats chickens, he's not in till tomorrow.

Here's the poop, don't mind the sunflower seed shells, those were probably there before she pooped, she was on a shelf in my greenhouse which is an usual place for her to roost

7 other chickens total, all acting completely normal.

Any ideas? I'm going to wait for a better stool sample to bring to the vet tomorrow.

It would help to get a couple of her fresh stools including a cecal one (the ones that resemble butterscotch or caramel syrup, LOL.) She could have coccidiosis, enteritis, or worms. The white is urates, while the green is bile from not eating enough, and there could a lot of mucus from irritation. You can see blood in droppings sometimes, but not always, when chickens have cocci or enteritis. If you could ask your vet to also do a gram stain for bacteria, that my help in a diagnosis. Corid or amprollium can be used to treat coccidiosis. Enteritis can be treated with an antibiotic specific to what is causing enteritis (clostridium perfringens is common.) Worms are treated with Valbazen or fenbendazole (Safeguard liquid goat wormer or horse paste.) Please let us know what your vet has to say. Hopefully, they will at least test the droppings for you, since many vets won't see chickens.

Took her to the vet with a stool sample. She's super skinny, only weighs 2.7 lbs.
he took blood because he really couldn't see anything wrong with her. The blood and the still results will come back tomorrow. He also gave a her a shot of antibiotic just in case it is an infection of some sort.
He ruled out sour crop and egg bound.
Her appetite is completely gone now, but he said she's weigh too skinny so I've got to force feed her.
I started with egg and yogurt yesterday. She's still not taking much though.
The rest of the flock still seems fine thank goodness.
Btw that 15 minute to the vet was $298 :lol: do not tell my husband!!! Lol!

Took her to the vet with a stool sample.

The rest of the flock still seems fine thank goodness.
Btw that 15 minute to the vet was $298 :lol: do not tell my husband!!! Lol!

I don't understand....Unless this is some rare prize bird that you are making mucho dinero selling her super rare really,really expensive eggs why on earth would someone even think of spending that kinda $ on a hen. Seperate her from the rest in case she has something thats catching.$300 will buy a whole lot of replacement birds. To each his own I guess.

I don't understand....Unless this is some rare prize bird that you are making mucho dinero selling her super rare really,really expensive eggs why on earth would someone even think of spending that kinda $ on a hen. Seperate her from the rest in case she has something thats catching.$300 will buy a whole lot of replacement birds. To each his own I guess.

I know it seems crazy, but all of my chickens are pets. This girl is only 4 months old, I wouldn't feel right letting her die if there's a cure for her condition. I can't say I always take them to the vet but if I think it's worth it I do.

Yes, that is a lot of money. It's a shame vets charge so much for treating a chicken, and may suggest expensive procedures to rack up the price, but they do that to protect themselves, sometimes. It's good that the OP was able to seek treatment, but unfortunately some wouldn't go back because it is just too expensive. When I take in a pet, I don't always let them do every test because many times they aren't necessary.

Last edited:
You gotta do what u feel is right n within ur budget.WIll I take the dog to the vet?Yep if his condition hasn't shown improvement after several days.Will I take the kids to the Dr.?Yep if their condition hasn't shown improvement after several days.Chickens? He## No! I can replace 3 flocks for that kind of money.Don't get me wrong,I take care of my birds n I get angry when I lose em to predators,but these are free range working girls with a 4yr old rooster watching over them not some pampered house cat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom