4 Month old Silkies...help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Andora, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    These are the Easter chicks I got from TSC this spring. They are about 4 months old now. At first I thought I had one rooster and three pullets, now I think there's one pullet and three roosters. Tell me what you think!

They are the first Silkies I've owned and I *love* them. If there's a pair in here I'm keeping them and making babies for sure!

#1 (pullet?) This one has a little point/bump where the comb should be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had trouble keeping straight which was which of the other three, they all look the same. They all have a lump growing larger in the comb spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 I'm almost certain is a roo. The comb lump is reddening/purple colored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 on the left, #4 on the right, #2 in the middle/background:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 on the left, #3 in the middle, #2 on the right:

[​IMG]

2. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    They all look like hens to me.

I had a trio of feed store silkies, that I picked up about Easter time so they were about the same age as your's.
    One turned out to be a rooster and it was very obvious. He had long red wattles, big red strait comb - in other words - very bad quality. Was crowing and humping about anything including ducks. The girls weren't great quality either but did not have red in their combs and had no wattles. They looked very much like all of your's.

I got rid of my trio.

Ps. Just wanted to add, that I think hatchery Silkies are harder to sex because they aren't the greatest quaility. I have some Silkies hatched from a show quility birds, and oh boy, what a huge difference it is. They are so hairy that at four months I have not problem telling the boys apart. Their steamers are humongous.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    One day when I have a farm I will breed quality Silkies.I can't believe I waited so long to own them! When I saw tractor supply had them I squealed in the middle of the store!

4. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Me too. I was excited to find Silkies at the feed store. Then two days later when my quality eggs hatched I was worried I won't be able to tell them apart. Wrong! You could spot the feed store ones from a mile away. So different! [​IMG]

5. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I think #3 might be a rooster, it has a big walnut comb.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    hen
    roo
    roo
    hen

those are my thoughts:)

7. SilverFire5467

SilverFire5467 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    Hen and two roos [​IMG] im in the same boat with my silkies, tractor supply silkies are so hard to sex. I got two others from Blue Seal feeds and they looked like completely different birds!

8. wdc1952

wdc1952 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Kearney, Missouri
    First of all, these are Non-Bearded Whites.
    Without getting good head shots of each bird, I believe that pictures #4 and #5 are cockerals and the rest are pullets.
    Again as they mature, the males will have a larger walnut shaped comb and their wattles should be more pronounced.True Silkies should have 5 toes along with mulberrry comb and wattles and dark eyes.

Good luck on your start of Silkies.

9. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    They all looks like girls to me. Let us know when you are sure, it shouldnt be too long. [​IMG]

10. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I'll let you all know when I hear crows or get eggs.

The first one pictured is the only one that has a different comb than the others. It's almost non-existent, if you feel between the fluff there's a tiny pointed thing that hasn't grown in two months. Two of the three others have reddening lumps for combs and the other one has a growing lump but it's not red yet.

They all have five toes, dark eyes, and black skin. One of them has six toenails, lol.

One day I'm going to own show quality silkies, but these quirky fluffy chicks have lots of personality to enjoy in the mean time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by