4 Muscovy sisters sitting on a nest of 65 eggs!!!

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
These guys are sitting so tightly on their eggs. They look so cute sharing a nest. A very big nest! I love my Scovy girls! They're Caramel, Cocoa, Kahlua, & Kisses.

24335_20100717_1.jpg

Here's the daddy. This is Valentino aka Puppy. I swear he barks just like a small dog! He follows me around (they free range) wagging his tail, barking at me!

24335_20100717_2.jpg

Here's Jasmine. She's sister to Puppy.

24335_20100717_3.jpg

Blue Boy hiding in the weeds. He's brother to Puppy & Jasmine.

24335_20100717_6.jpg

Here's Blackie & Painted Lady relaxing. They're brother & sister to Puppy.

24335_20100717_7.jpg

I love my Muscovy's! Thanks to Bleenie for making me see the wonderful beauty in these ducks!

Laurie

Holy cow!
ep.gif
thats alot of eggs! Id be worried about the eggs being turned , mama's fighting , or the eggs being over heated or smothered. Ive had all these problems when my mama's try to double nest! Good luck though! Definantly some gorgeous birds
smile.png

The nest is 4 feet long! Jasmine also goes in and sits on the eggs so at times there's 5 of them sitting. We go in and check on them and the eggs daily. They seem to be doing okay. We've removed alot of bad eggs, there were 87 eggs! LOL

Will all hatch? Probably not. We've tried separating them but they freak out. They want to be together. So we'll see what happens once the eggs start to hatch.

Well you're quite welcome!!
big_smile.png
but really, how could someone NOT love a Scovy?? they're just too sweet
tongue.png

The most I have ever had was 2 hens on one nest. I have noticed that i have WAY better hatches if the hen is setting in some type of box or something that at least has sides on it... If you can build a rectangle box to put around them, it will help hold more of the heat on the eggs, and also keep any from slipping out or getting lost between hens & hopefully help make a whole lotta babies!!
th.gif
love.gif
celebrate.gif

Hi,

If I could offer some unsolicited advise, I would do everything in my power to separate those nests and give each bird her own eggs. In my experience shared nests turn out disastrous, sometimes even a total wash. The ducks tend to fight over the eggs, rolling them to and fro, and eggs end up being left out too long and the embryos die. I would put something, even a cardboard box, to separate the nests and try to get each of them to accept a single nest. Really watch, though, if you decide to do this, and try to do it when they're off the nest and/or be as quick and unassuming as possible. You usually won't run a bird off the nest with a single harassment, but with repeated harassments they do tend to get irritated and may abandon the nest. If they won't accept your intervention and act like they're going to ignore the nest then you can remove and let them be. Personally I don't let birds share nests anymore, period. (But, that's just me, and as I said ... it's unsolicited.
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom