4 out of 6 are laying

chicaschicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Columbia, South Carolina
Hello,
I bought 3 RIR hens and 3 barred rocks back on feb. 22, 2014. Two started laying on 3/13/14 . And just last Saturday, 3/22/14, four of the six hens started laying. We are now getting 4 eggs per day. I am very new to all of this. Should the other two hens start soon or do I possibly have two that just are not going to lay. We were told by a guy who used to work at a hatchery that sometime you may get a hen that won't lay. Any advice?

All the birds of a breed should be laying withing two weeks of each other. Any day now they'll start up. Or maybe they already are. Are you witnessing four birds going on the nest or assuming only four are laying due to that many eggs? Either way, egg amounts should increase very soon to five and some days six eggs.

I never heard of hens not laying (only roosters not laying
smile.png
). Do they look all healthy ?
Some they just are slower, but they will lay, maybe in one or two weeks.

Morning everyone, chicka here again, my six are all laying now, well off and on. I have noticed though some loose stool in their run. And today I noticed one of my barred rocks had a bit of cough or it might be a sneeze??
Any advice on the these issues?
They seem to be happy and healthy otherwise. I have their pen in the shade due to out HOT summers. Now that I am out here over an hour I don't hear the cough. Mainly when I first give them scraps or come out to
Feed and water. Hummmmm

Back
Top Bottom