4 pullets at once?

sherrydeanne

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
At my computer, where are you?
I thought I had a raccoon problem that had *ahem* been taken care of. Then about a week ago my run door was broken in half and ALL 4 of my pullets were gone. Some feathers, but no bodies. Everything was fairly melted so I didn't even see any tracks other than the cat, squirrel and deer that are so common. Could a raccoon (or several) take 4 birds at once? I live abutting a 500 acre park, so anything, including foxes and coyotes are possible. These are all full grown chickens.
I tried reading through everything but I couldn't find any posts about a predator cleaning out a whole coop. I'm considering rebuilding and need to repair/rebuild well enough to keep whatever that was, out!

Last edited:
It may have been a gang, most likely a female and her comrades, even a family unit. You'll have to re-build for the strongest predator in your area. There is no such thing as 'too strong'. Sorry to hear about your pullets, winter hunger makes many predators bold.

First of all sorry about the loss of your pullets. When you rebuild the door make sure that it and the frame it is attached to is substantially strong. I also put 2 latches on the door. One at the bottom and one halfway up. That way there is no way for a predator to spring the door ajar and squeeze through. I use the bolt type latches with a combination lock in them. Coons are smart and will figure out how to open them if not locked. When you are sleeping all night, they have a huge window of opportunity to work on getting to their next meal.

Found some tracks yesterday, guess the fellon decided to see if I had restocked the buffet. Red Fox!!!! Sneaky jerk. At least I know what I'm working against, now. I figure if I make a run that's racoon and fox safe, I should be set. Thanks all.

Quote:
At least you know now what it is. I was going to say it sounded like a dog. Now you'll have to try and trap it or something. Good luck!

Thanks
smile.png
I live next to a state park, so I refuse to trap or kill. I'm going to give myself one more chance at keeping my chickens safe via fences and doors and if I can't, well, I don't have the right to have chickens. I figure the predators have just as much right to live as do my chickens. Does that make me a total wuss? Just glad to know what it was so I can try to plan. Hope this thread is helpful to anyone else who may have a whole coop wiped out.

Back
Top Bottom