4 pullets dead.. Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scsteiger, Jun 30, 2016.

1. scsteiger

scsteiger New Egg

Jan 6, 2016
    I went against my better judgement on a trade and got some chickens from a lady who appeared ok when I got them but are now dropping like flies. I have #4&5 in quarantine and the others before are dead. They have mouth or eye sores and then become lethargic and die. Please advise.. Newbie and not sure how to help! Texted the lady I got them from (very well known chicken breeder) and she basically said she didn't believe me and all of the chickens she gave me couldn't have been deathly ill. [​IMG] The first one to die had mouth sores that I thought might be canker.. But now it is all eye infections that are visible before they die.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. The eye looks like it could have been pecked or possibly infected. Respiratory diseases can cause swelling of the eyes and surrounding tissue. Most times there is sneezing or gasping in addition. I would send one or two of the sick or dying chicks in to your state vet or poultry college for a necropsy. The bodies must be refrigerated. Canker can cause yellow patches inside the mouth and throat. Do have a picture of one's mouth or beak? Sorry about your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by