4 rhode island reds our first day, first chickens to own

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bonescrub, May 10, 2008.

1. bonescrub

bonescrub Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    South east texas
    well about 8:30 am today picked up our RIR's females. got some starter feed from the store , then had to go to another feed store for a water and feeder. so around 9:30 i got home/ I put them in about a 2' x2' plastic container that, is trash from work, with an open top.

I live in South east texas and it was about 90 degrees today. The lady i talked to about the chickens didn't think i needed a heat lamp with our heat.
    The chicks (2 days old) seem to be doing well checked on them tonight, they were huddled together so i checked the outside temp. it was around 77 degrees so I added a 13 watt compact fluorescent light to shine in the container and covered partially with cardboard.

Just wanted to share what i was doing to see if anyone had any pointers especially with this hot texas weather. I live about 1.5 hours east of Houston and 30 mins. from Louisiana
    thanks

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I would watch the chicks and see if they huddle together and on top of one another. If they do, then they are cold. If they spread out and try to get away from the light and possibly start panting, then they are too hot.

Dorothy

[​IMG]

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Congratulations on the new chicks. Welcome to the world of chickens. You will be buying more...it's an addiction.

You know you are addicted when you go to an Estate Sale and you look out the window of the house and see the neighbor's chickens and you are more interested in the neighbor's chicken than in the stuff on sale.

jackie

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

The warm weather we have been having here has actually helped me to wean mine off their beloved light, lol. I think you can tell by their actions/body language as far as their comfort in temperature. That is how I gauged it. Not very technical but they are doing fine.

5. bonescrub

bonescrub Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    South east texas
    well i went a checked on them about an hour ago (1:30 am ish) and they where not huddled any more and where away from the light. But the feeder is the area where they were near so hard to tell for sure, the waterer is far enuff that they will go to it if needed.

they where not on top of each other but they were all touching each other. so i feel that they could have been a little chilled, so the low wattage light might have helped them. Will give it maybe a couple more nights, also will start checking local weather so i can judge.

thanks for input
    chris

will post pics soon once i find a place to host.

6. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    I would have them a heat light at night, they was huddled together cause they was cold. During the day when its warm its not a great issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by