4 season folks- when do you do your first bator batch of the year?

i stopped at the end of august, since my bantams pretty much stopped laying (i dont have lights in the coops so i excpeted they would and dont mind them having the winter off laying). i will start the bator up again once they resume laying in the spring
smile.png

Quote:
ha ha sure!! I'm thinkin of pulling mine back out, I've been letting the broodys do the work for a few months. I was hatching this time last year up until they stopped laying real well, I sold out of most of my chickens I hatched this spring thinking of doin it again. Its alot of work in the winter but it pays off.

Right now I'm kicking myself for hatching out my last group in early September. It's getting down into the 40's at night & I've got a heat lamp on them still. I can see the light from the kitchen so I get up 2-3 times during the night to look out the window. They will die from the cold if anything happened to the heat lamp. This year I didn't hatch any out until mid april (easter). I always keep my chicks in the house for the first two weeks & then move them outside, but I hate the thought of them freezing to death if something happened to the heat lamp while I was sleeping or at work. I think you can hatch year around, it just depends on your set up & how much you want to worry about them turning into chick-sicles
big_smile.png

I like ozark hen's brooder box to!

Quote:
for a lil peace of mind, my light went out one night when it was in the 30s and I didnt find them until morning, they all had cuddled up and the bigger ones took the lil ones under their wings (it was sweet) all where cold but we got a new bulb and in a few mins they was back to normal..

Last edited:
Hubby has set up the back porch of the second house on our property as a nursery. He spent this past weekend working on it, putting heat into it, in case I want to hatch all winter long. It's all insulated and he's putting up the inside walls to cover the insulation tomorrow. He's such a sweetheart!

Laurie

Quote:
I'm soooo jealous!!I've been at my hubby for months to help me get my pens finished I've got at least 6 pens to build before winter..if it was a car he'd done had it rebuilt from ground up..LOL

Back
Top Bottom