4 week chicks with roundworms

abbey21

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2016
Augusta, GA
Help! I just found out my chickens are infested with roundworms (I've seen the worms) and my 4 week chicks have been outside during the day since it is 85 degrees here. They have recently started having bad diarrhea and I believe they may have worms too. What can I do?? Help please! They are rare breeds and sweet girls and I don't want to lose them :( I am treating the flock with Rooster Booster Wormer but I don't know what to give to the chicks. Also giving them ACV and oregano. Please help! Thanks!

I would head to the nearest feed store or Tractor Supply and pick up some Valbazen liquid goat wormer!!

It kills every single worm known to chickens and can be used safely with the right dosage. :)

There's a 24-day egg withdrawal period from the first dose, just so you know!

MrsB

Last edited:
You'd have to do a little weighing and math, but it could be done.

I would also run Corid through their water FIRST.

You can find it at Tractor Supply, your local feed store, or you can order it online.

The dose is:

1.5 teaspoons *NO LESS* of 20% powder per gallon of water

OR

2 teaspoons of 9.6% liquid per gallon of water.

Make sure it's the only water they can access for 5-7 days and mix a fresh gallon (or however much) at least once a day.

I'd start with that first... The worm... Dosage for Valbazen is 20mg/kg... Do you have a kitchen scale by chance??

MrsB

Last edited:
Good Morning MrsBrooke,
I am addressing you because you seem so educated and informative on this thread.

We have a very small flock (3 wonderful girls). My eldest girl who has survived an eye infection as a chick and 2 separate dog attacks, came up to me this morning as she always does and there were roundworms in her poop. The other 2 girls are replacements for the two we had that did not survive the last dog attack. They are very young and just started laying last November. I really could go on for hours about how much we love our girls but that is not the subject of my inquiry.

I understand that we can use products from Tractor Supply Company to treat. I am so very happy that this is treatable as our girls really are more like beloved pets with benefits (happiness and eggs). I really was not looking forward to the idea of putting the oldest down as she has survived so much so far.

My question is this; Are the Eggs okay for us to eat?
I suppose the question may be too late to ask because we have been eating the eggs. This is the first time we have noticed any parasitic involvement of our babies.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

道安
Peace in the Dao,
Catfishy

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.
It's not.”
Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904 - 1991)

I totally understand your concern.

The recommended withdrawal period is there to prevent people with sensitivities/allergies from ingesting the product while it's still in the animal's system. Some people toss the eggs out, some people feed them only to other animals (ie: their dogs), and some people keep eating them and ignore the recommendation.

I remember someone calculated the trace amount of wormer that could end up in the eggs... and it was *tiny.* Probably not enough to harm you unless you are sensitive/allergic to the active ingredient.

I have both eaten "wormed" eggs and fed them to my dogs. No one got ill or suffered any injury. :) Your mileage may vary!

PS -
welcome-byc.gif

MrsB

Last edited:
Just to let everyone in this thread know. I found another product at the Tractor Supply Company.
It is the "Backyard Chicken Health Pack" http://www.dbcagproducts.com/backyard-chicken-health-pack/
They do not claim to de-worm but the packaging says this:
"Proprietary formula contains targeted natural enzymes, selected essential oils and other key ingredients. Designed to help offset the detrimental effects of worms and other parasites."

I looked at Wazine while I was there and visited their webpage.
Wazine specifically states "Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption." and does not specify the length of time.
One of my reasons for having my girls was to get away from stuff like this.

I don't know if this helps anyone or if anyone has other input. I am new at this so any response for me a good response at this point.

Back
Top Bottom