4 week old chick attacked by rodent

crystalroy1441

Chirping
Aug 17, 2016
One of our 4 week old marans was attacked and we amputated his/her leg it was barely hanging on. Also has a puncture wound on thigh. We've been washing with anti bacterial soap and putting antibiotic ointment. Also have been giving doxycycline but not real sure of dosage. It's been 3 days and the chick is still eating really well and drinking well. But has a little smell to the wound first day it was really strong today not so much smelly.If someone could please help with any info I would really appreciate it. Thank You!!

Welcome to BYC. Is a vet an option for your chick? Can you post a picture of the wound? Amputation is pretty serious, and a strong antibiotic should be given. Is there any swelling, oozing, or pus coming from the wound? How are you keeping the wound clean? You might try soaking the extremety in a warm betadine or hibiclens soak daily. Dry and reapply the ointment. Hopefully, the chick will recover, but a vet would be the best. Sometimes it is hard to find one who will see a chicken. Here are 2 links about doxyxycline dosage:
https://www.hipra.com/wps/portal/we...uestrosproductos/ES/127562/121367_ES/40525_ES
http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/Articles/DOXYCYCLINE_product_review.html

Unfortunately the vet is no option there are no avian vets around :/ chick is doing well just worried we might get an infection it looks worse in the picture than in person.thank you for the reply I will look into the dosage for the doxy.

Hopefully, she will heal with some TLC. You may want to make her a chick chair or sling when there is more healing of the wound. That would get her off the ground into a sitting position, and would keep her cleaner. Food and water are placed within reach so that the chick can get food. Many pictures of those exist on BYC and on Google if you do a search. Keep us posted on her progress.

Yes changing bedding and food and water every hour hoping she will pull through. Still real active standing on her one leg. The antibiotic thing is still so confusing to me on which one to use hoping the doxy is sufficient enough. I was hoping to find a similar story.

Just an update our chick is still eating and drinking normally this will be the 5th day and has been taking the doxycycline since day 1. Just really concerned about the smell it's not super strong any more and the amputation is almost completely healed but the chick also has a deep puncture wound in his/her upper thigh that has a smell it's not super strong but definitely a smell. I've been keeping neosporin in the puncture and all over what I will call the chicks nub. We also have been soaking in anti bacterial dial soap everyday. The lady I purchased my first chicks from believes in givING nuflor every other day she says it shouldn't mix with the doxy but I don't want to do anything that is going to harm the chick or cause any other problems the chick gets around on the one leg really well for all this just happening so I'm just worried about the infection part. If anyone knows anything else I should try please let me know. Thank you

Can you irrigate the puncture wound with saline, Betadine, or chlorhexidene? A turkey baster or syringe can be useful, or even a kitchen sprayer with tap water. Puncture wounds can close up prematurely, and form an abscess. Irrigating the wound would help it to clean it and let it heal from the inside out. It sounds like she is really spunky and strong.

We did a saline mixture rinse tonight we will see if that helps. Also gave the last dose of doxy and will give the penecillian injection if the wound doesn't look any better in a couple more days.

Did betadine rinse this morning and put neosporin back on the wound might give penecillian today. Because I don't like the smell coming from the wound.

Back
Top Bottom