4 week old chick fluffed out wings down - treating with corid

Corid 9.6% - 2 tsp/gal, 5 - 7 days, no egg withdrawal then 1/2 tsp 7 - 14 days (offer for 5days, then again in 2weeks for 3days - then give vitamins).
When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions (5 - 7 days):
Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilut
Corid 20% powder - Mix 1 1/2 teaspoon powder with gallon water.

I use Horizontal Water Nipples, helps to keep water clean. I introduce when chicks are about 8wks old, watching to make sure they've figured it out. What the instructions don't tell you is make sure to drill a hole below the rim, with the lid on it vents and not cause a vacuum.

Attachments

• Waterer.jpg
    Waterer.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Waterer:Drinking (1).jpg
    Waterer:Drinking (1).jpg
    670 KB · Views: 1
Ok here are some pictures.
The light polish is the one I have concerns about. They grey one is for comparison. I believe the light one is male and grey is female but not sure. One picture out with me and other more natural.

He’s eating, drinking sleeps more under the brooder. No worse no better. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something. Switched to electrolytes in water and will do mash tomorrow.

Attachments

• C0DECEB9-0516-4FB6-B1FA-6CFD2C74EFF1.jpeg
    C0DECEB9-0516-4FB6-B1FA-6CFD2C74EFF1.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 0551DFC5-3D5E-4F9D-995C-E9F15C76DBD5.jpeg
    0551DFC5-3D5E-4F9D-995C-E9F15C76DBD5.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 8B3A3552-838A-42E9-A4B8-9A246B9BD5FE.jpeg
    8B3A3552-838A-42E9-A4B8-9A246B9BD5FE.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 2
Ok now I see what you're meaning ... Got me stumped, first thought would be it's chilled; spending more time under plate. Looks fine next to the waterer. If it's eating & drinking &
pooping ok ... I'd just keep a close eye on it. Completed the Corid treatment, won't hurt.
Thanks for your reply. I’ll keep up with it, monitor and post if anything else comes up. I’ve also considered injury but he can do short (appropriate to his age flights) on par with others. Feet seem fine as well. No signs of injury as far as I can tell.

I did check his crop again tonight and it seems more balloon like which happened a couple night ago. I’ll check it again in the morning. I haven’t been offering grit since feed is crumble only. No sour smell from him (I got my step-daughter to check because I have no sense of smell!)
Maybe I’ll set out some grit and mix yogurt in the mash?

I did check his crop again tonight and it seems more balloon like which happened a couple night ago. I’ll check it again in the morning. I haven’t been offering grit since feed is crumble only. No sour smell from him (I got my step-daughter to check because I have no sense of smell!)
Maybe I’ll set out some grit and mix yogurt in the mash?
Don't do too many things at once or you won't know what's working. I would skip the corid tomorrow at least and give him the Nutri-Drench and egg yolk mash and see if he improves. Then if that doesn't work we will tag some experts to see if we can get better help. Nutri-Drench has saved my chicks many a time. You can put the grit out but I don't see why the chick would have crop or cocci issues at this point

Back
Top Bottom