4 week old chick has no feathers

Memcd

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2015
I have 12 baby chicks that are now 4 weeks old. They are multiple breeds. One of my Black Jersey Giant chicks has not grown in any feathers yet. All of the other chicks have their feathers. She is growing and is the same size as the others. She now appears to have some bald areas. None of the other chicks are pecking on her. They all seem to get along very well. Does anyone know what might be going on with this chick? The brooder shavings are completely cleaned out every 3-4 days. The water is changed twice daily and the food is kept clean, dry and replenished frequently. Please help!

Does it at least have wing feathers? In many breeds roosters will take much longer to feather out.

This is a curious question. I did some searches and the consensus to why a chick may not be feathered out by the average of four weeks is genetics.

The way DNA orders genes around, sometimes there's a "mistake". You might also see some unusual plumage once this chick finally does get outfitted with some real feathers.

Does it at least have wing feathers? In many breeds roosters will take much longer to feather out.
The only feathers are the first 5 then nothing. The five feathers are very tiny. I didn't know I have a rooster they are all supposed to be hens.

I purchased my chicks from My Pet Chicken. They are being feed Nutrena Chick Starter. The brooder is a very large metal container measures 3' wide x 6' long. I keep them in a bedroom in our home. The temp has been adjusted each week starting at 95 degrees when I first got them. Room temp is currently 82 degrees. I live in florida and outside temps range between 74-93 degrees. I thought that might be the problem also but she doesn't appear to be cold or too warm.

This is a curious question. I did some searches and the consensus to why a chick may not be feathered out by the average of four weeks is genetics.

The way DNA orders genes around, sometimes there's a "mistake". You might also see some unusual plumage once this chick finally does get outfitted with some real feathers.

Thank you for your response. I will hope this is the problem. One person suggested it might be a rooster, I'm hoping that's not the case.

Slow feathering always suggests a cockerel! You should know the answer to that little question in another week or two. The comb will start appearing "orange" then slowly turning red-orange, then by six weeks, a definite red. Then you'll know you have a cockerel.

But genetics can cause slow feathering in individual birds regardless of gender.

Back
Top Bottom