4 week old chick unwell

Tigger123

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2016
My silkie chick has stopped eating and drinking and is laying down and stopped chirping, the crop was squishy so gave a little olive oil on beak and then she started sicking up yellow fluid, she is now laying motionless and shook head a couple of times. Not sure if she will survive the night. Anything else i can do?

I'm sorry I didn't have any advice. I'm sorry your chickie is sick. It doesn't sound good.

Ive never had a chick with impacted or sour crop but when my adult hen had it i fed her bread dipped in olive oil (was told it helps lube up the crop and i massaged her crop multiple times a day for a few days. If you can use a small syringe to keep her hydrated. She can go without food a couple days but water is necessary. My hen also threw up yellow liquid and improved with periodic crop massages. I hope she makes it. If you can smell near her beak for a foul smell. That will tell you whether you are dealing with impacted crop or sour crop. Also you can tip hee slightly down and massage her crop so she throws up whatever festering liquid and stuff she has in there but be careful as she can aspirate and get liquid in her lungs. Also give her breaks to catch her breath. But only do this as a last resort and keep her hydrated with no access to food. You can also look up signs/symptoms for crop issue and what to do. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks for advice, she is still with us and we have been out all day expecting her to have gone but still shallow breathing, I tried again tonight with sugared water and then oil and dipped the beak in and she was drinking, wait until the morning now, still motionless though. Surprised she is still with us.

She was walking around in circles and not mixing with the other chicks so knew there was something wrong. I did put all my chicks outside for a whole afternoon as it was warm but wondered whether that affected her. Perhaps I should not have put her out at 4 weeks old.

This morning she is still laying in same position on her side but still breathing. No chirping for couple of days now. What should i do, try massaging crop again? she is my first ever chick as well. :(

Is her crop still full? If so def keep massaging it and giving her water in a dropper/sringe. If its still full try emptying it for her by holding her downwards at an angle and massaging her crop to empty it by her throwing up but let her catch her breath after a couple rubs and dont hold her at that angle to long.
If her crop is empty in the morning then it could be somthing else.
How many days has she been like this now? If you can id take her to the vet. If she goes on to much longer than 4 days it may be best to put her down:(. Just make sure she is warm and drinking plenty whether by you giving her water or her getting it on her own.
When my hen had it I caught it early noticing how lethargic she is and after doing all I had told you she was fine within a few days.
If you can isolate her from the other chicks so she doesnt get picked at and if she does have something else she cant pass it to
the others. Put apple cider vinegar in the other chicks(just half a teaspoon to a teaspoon depending on the size of their water). Its a natural way to boost their immune system and helps them feather faster. For the apple cider vineger use only organic, raw unfiltered apple vinegar with mother in it. Bragg is a good brand that i use. You can get it at walmart and publix.

Last edited:
But im really sorry your going through this it was so scary with my hen but a poor little chick must be even worse :(
But if it hasnt been 4 days or more i wouldnt give up hope just yet. Chicks can suprise you with their strength. While she wasnt sick, I had a chick that got attacked by something when I had them in a 16x16 screen in run/play area and from the top of its head down to the bottom of its neck something had tried to get it and it scalped her basically and when I found her she was in shock. She wouldnt eat or drink so I had to do it for her with a sringe and treat her wounds. She had to be seperated from the others and it took a month for her wound to heal so she could be with the others. She is now 3 months old and she is happily back with her siblings and her feathers have even grown back. But I hope your chick recovers:)

One more thing, in illness/diseases/emergency sectiom there are a few other stories of chicks with sour crop in it. I would post in that section as well that way more people see it and will respond appropriately. Ive only ever had to deal with one case of it and someone else may have more advice that I dont.

Back
Top Bottom