4 week old chick with broken tibia

The splint that @casportpony posted for the tibiotarsus is for a broken tibia. The link here has other splinting options on page 21, where they say to flex the joint below the break:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I'll check this link out as soon as I can! I have her in a sling for now and need to feed my toddler then work, so she will stay in the sling for at least a day at this point.
Thank you for the link! It looks like good info!

UPDATE

We have her in a sling for now. Hoping this works. Much easier than fiddling with a splint. She also seems much more comfortable. I'll try and update and things progress. I'm open to any other suggestions or things to watch for. Thank you all!
Looks great...keep them feet off the ground...she will be fine given some time.. just think, if your leg was broken, you wouldn't use it either and you would just let it dangle there too...keep her quiet, and things will be looking better in a few weeks

Looks great...keep them feet off the ground...she will be fine given some time.. just think, if your leg was broken, you wouldn't use it either and you would just let it dangle there too...keep her quiet, and things will be looking better in a few weeks
I'll check this link out as soon as I can! I have her in a sling for now and need to feed my toddler then work, so she will stay in the sling for at least a day at this point.
Thank you for the link! It looks like good info!
Remember, it is important that she STAYS OFF the leg for 10 days without putting any weight on leg for it to heal. Dont be afraid of setting the leg bone. Feel the bone with your fingers, both bone ends should be fairly well aligned. When its aligned the chick should feel some comfort. Restlessness is a sign of uncomfortable position. Rotating leg back like as of the chick is in a full run, leg in the rear stride position then manipulate the bone to correct position. Using finger up by pelvic socket and holding leg straight as you rotate leg. Very similar to putting a slipped tendon back in alignment. You can google videos about slipped tendon. All in all.. your doing great!...keep it up

Remember, it is important that she STAYS OFF the leg for 10 days without putting any weight on leg for it to heal. Dont be afraid of setting the leg bone. Feel the bone with your fingers, both bone ends should be fairly well aligned. When its aligned the chick should feel some comfort. Restlessness is a sign of uncomfortable position. Rotating leg back like as of the chick is in a full run, leg in the rear stride position then manipulate the bone to correct position. Using finger up by pelvic socket and holding leg straight as you rotate leg. Very similar to putting a slipped tendon back in alignment. You can google videos about slipped tendon. All in all.. your doing great!...keep it up

UPDATE #2: Thank you so much again! This chick is running around like nothing ever happened. I can't hardly believe it. I nearly culled her. She does have two large bumps when you feel her tibia. I assume that's where the body put new bone down to heal the break. I tried to attach a video, but it won't allow it.

Attachments

• Chick with healed leg.jpg
    Chick with healed leg.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom