4 week old chick with broken tibia

TyJaimi

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
On Saturday early afternoon, one of our chicks had a little accident (can explain if needed) and we are pretty sure she broke her tibia. I don't think it's broken in half but we can definitely feel something different inside that leg from the other good leg. She does not use her leg or foot at all. It just dangles. We put her leg in a splint. We wrapped it first, then used q-tips and wrapped again. She acts happy and will eat and drink (and poop) normally. We help steady her so she doesn't fall. She is in with all her chick friends but inside her own cage so they cannot peck her or trample her.

Here are our questions:

1-I see that her lower leg (metatarsus) and foot are now swollen. She still isn't grasping with the toes at all. They just curl. Is this something to be concerned with or normal for the injury?

2-I feel like I want to take the splint off and check things out underneath then re-splint. I'm hoping to get some ideas on a better splint idea. Anyone have pics or ideas for this or should I leave this on for a while longer?

3-Any other things we can do to help her?

Thanks!

Attachments

• chick leg.jpg
    chick leg.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 44
  • chick front.jpg
    chick front.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 18
So, the bone that is broken in my chick is the long bone above that one (Tibiotarsus). Not the bone attached to the foot. Do you have a pic like this for that bone?

You can try to fashion a chicken wheelchair out of plastic tubing. I've seen people use these while a chicken is healing from an injury. I have faith that this is highly recoverable provided no major ligaments are damanged, but my experience is lacking beyond that.

On Saturday early afternoon, one of our chicks had a little accident (can explain if needed) and we are pretty sure she broke her tibia. I don't think it's broken in half but we can definitely feel something different inside that leg from the other good leg. She does not use her leg or foot at all. It just dangles. We put her leg in a splint. We wrapped it first, then used q-tips and wrapped again. She acts happy and will eat and drink (and poop) normally. We help steady her so she doesn't fall. She is in with all her chick friends but inside her own cage so they cannot peck her or trample her.

Here are our questions:

1-I see that her lower leg (metatarsus) and foot are now swollen. She still isn't grasping with the toes at all. They just curl. Is this something to be concerned with or normal for the injury?

2-I feel like I want to take the splint off and check things out underneath then re-splint. I'm hoping to get some ideas on a better splint idea. Anyone have pics or ideas for this or should I leave this on for a while longer?

3-Any other things we can do to help her?

Thanks!
I've had MANY MANY chickens, guinea foul, peacocks and others with broken legs. In my opinion, once the bone is realigned, you need to suspend the juvenile for 10-14 days. I use a clear plastic tub that is large enough its legs can hang without hitting the sides or bottom. I use a towel with small egg shaped holes for the legs. For that size of chick, I would say about 1" diameter holes spaced about 1" apart. Also, don't forget a poop hole. I also cut 2 holes in the towel to put a food and water bowl just infront of it so it can drink or eat whenever. Dont forget to cut an access hole or two into the bottom sides of the tote to clean out the bottom (poop does build up quickly). If the bird doesn't like hanging there (7out of 10), simply use a piece of fabric safty pinned across it's back to hold it in the sling. Many designs can be found online with a search for "chicken sling". In my opinion this IS the fastest and best road to recovery. Reason is because the weight needs to be removed to start the healing process, not injury repair process. The chick will experience less pain and discomfort. These type of avian species rely on standing to survive, you must support its weight and relieve pressure to the bone to get that chick back up and walking again. After 10-14 days, remove it, confine it to a pet carrier with straw on the floor. It will need up to a week in the carrier to re-learn to stand and walk again. Afterwards you should be good to go.

It really doesn't matter what bone is broken. If the bone is in its natural position (relatively inline with each other) it will heal just fine. Maybe with a little limp but none the less alright.

I've had MANY MANY chickens, guinea foul, peacocks and others with broken legs. In my opinion, once the bone is realigned, you need to suspend the juvenile for 10-14 days. I use a clear plastic tub that is large enough its legs can hang without hitting the sides or bottom. I use a towel with small egg shaped holes for the legs. For that size of chick, I would say about 1" diameter holes spaced about 1" apart. Also, don't forget a poop hole. I also cut 2 holes in the towel to put a food and water bowl just infront of it so it can drink or eat whenever. Dont forget to cut an access hole or two into the bottom sides of the tote to clean out the bottom (poop does build up quickly). If the bird doesn't like hanging there (7out of 10), simply use a piece of fabric safty pinned across it's back to hold it in the sling. Many designs can be found online with a search for "chicken sling". In my opinion this IS the fastest and best road to recovery. Reason is because the weight needs to be removed to start the healing process, not injury repair process. The chick will experience less pain and discomfort. These type of avian species rely on standing to survive, you must support its weight and relieve pressure to the bone to get that chick back up and walking again. After 10-14 days, remove it, confine it to a pet carrier with straw on the floor. It will need up to a week in the carrier to re-learn to stand and walk again. Afterwards you should be good to go.

Ok, I took the thing off I made a couple of days ago and made her a sling. Thanks for the suggestion! Her leg still just dangles. I'm hoping it's not something more. With the leg dangling, would you think things would be in alignment to heal up?

Attachments

• chick sling.jpg
    chick sling.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 17
UPDATE

We have her in a sling for now. Hoping this works. Much easier than fiddling with a splint. She also seems much more comfortable. I'll try and update and things progress. I'm open to any other suggestions or things to watch for. Thank you all!

Attachments

• chick sling.jpg
    chick sling.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom