HELP!! Three week old australorp chick with slipped tendon and we don’t know how to fix it!!!

Mar 14, 2024
This is our first time with baby chicks so we don’t have much knowledge. i’ve done extensive research on my baby chick and we believe she has a slipped tendon. It’s been a two days and she’s been laying down constantly. I hadn’t really noticed and thought it was coincidental. Once I’d realized something was up I isolated her immediately. Originally it seemed that maybe she was constipated so we gave her some things to help her. She then seemed to poop fine but she was still hobbling and wobbling and also still not eating Later i’d researched and found out that it could’ve been a slipped tendon. Her leg sticks out to the side and behind her so we tried to create a splint. She now seems better but she still isn’t eating or drinking on her own. I don’t know how to fix her slipped tendon or if it’s too late and i don’t want to try and accidentally break something. Any advice?

Here’s some pictures of our chick:

Attachments

• IMG_4284.jpeg
    IMG_4284.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4264.jpeg
    IMG_4264.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4278.jpeg
    IMG_4278.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 22
This is our first time with baby chicks so we don’t have much knowledge. i’ve done extensive research on my baby chick and we believe she has a slipped tendon. It’s been a two days and she’s been laying down constantly. I hadn’t really noticed and thought it was coincidental. Once I’d realized something was up I isolated her immediately. Originally it seemed that maybe she was constipated so we gave her some things to help her. She then seemed to poop fine but she was still hobbling and wobbling and also still not eating Later i’d researched and found out that it could’ve been a slipped tendon. Her leg sticks out to the side and behind her so we tried to create a splint. She now seems better but she still isn’t eating or drinking on her own. I don’t know how to fix her slipped tendon or if it’s too late and i don’t want to try and accidentally break something. Any advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-14 7.34.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 7.34.08 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2024-03-14 7.33.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 7.33.58 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Sorry about your chick. Is the hock joint swollen or red? Can she get up and around on a non-slick floor to eat and drink at all? A slipped tendon might possibly be repositioned in the first days, but most can’t be. A leg bone deformity such as a varus or valgus deformity, or a twisted tibia is not able to be fixed. Many of these chicks are put down. They might be cared for with slings or wheelchairs, but they may not have a good quality of life. Scroll down in this link to repositioning a slipped tendon:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Here is a link about leg bone deformities:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

She isn’t able to walk at all and she hobbles backwards and forwards using her wings to keep her balance. I just recently took her food out of her bowl and placed it on the cardboard where the bowl was placed and she seems to finally start eating and drinking now that she can peck at it. We are having a vet come to the house tomorrow to check her out.. we are going to try and fix it ourselves and hopefully we can fix it but if not the vet will hopefully be able to.

She isn’t able to walk at all and she hobbles backwards and forwards using her wings to keep her balance. I just recently took her food out of her bowl and placed it on the cardboard where the bowl was placed and she seems to finally start eating and drinking now that she can peck at it. We are having a vet come to the house tomorrow to check her out.. we are going to try and fix it ourselves and hopefully we can fix it but if not the vet will hopefully be able to.
we also haven’t been able to fully check her leg so we are going to really look at it tonight to see any signs of redness or inflammation.

here’s her being a bit more perky after eating a hard boiled egg yolk

Attachments

• E4526B2B-2C91-4671-99DB-D3C5A501BDA7.jpeg
    E4526B2B-2C91-4671-99DB-D3C5A501BDA7.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom