4 week old chicks and 101 degrees

Daushenhaus

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
We are going to be gone over night and it's going to be 90+. They chicks are 4 weeks. They are in a brooder in the regular coop right now that is made out of chicken wire. There is one sky window for ventilation. Since we are going to be gone doors all have to be closed and sealed up except the sky window. Will the baby chicks be okay in the little brooder when it's that hot? They'll have water and food. Or should I open up the little brooder door so that they can get in and out of the brooder and being with the big chickens but have a place to escape?

Have they been properly integrated with the older chickens? Or have they only been in the brooder so far? If they've never mingled freely with the older chickens, I would not have their first experience be unattended while you are away. If not introduced properly and gradually, older chickens can kill chicks. The one sky window is absolutely not enough ventilation for a coop in 90+ degree weather - not just for the chicks in the brooder, but in general, for any chickens living in that coop. Consider adding more ventilation before you go away, or if you can't, then move the brooder indoors somewhere where it's going to be cooler - in the house, in the basement, barn, etc. And when you get back, give those poor chickens more ventilation! 1 square foot of vent area per bird for 24/7/365 ventilation regardless of weather, and more for heat waves.

Have they been properly integrated with the older chickens? Or have they only been in the brooder so far? If they've never mingled freely with the older chickens, I would not have their first experience be unattended while you are away. If not introduced properly and gradually, older chickens can kill chicks. The one sky window is absolutely not enough ventilation for a coop in 90+ degree weather - not just for the chicks in the brooder, but in general, for any chickens living in that coop. Consider adding more ventilation before you go away, or if you can't, then move the brooder indoors somewhere where it's going to be cooler - in the house, in the basement, barn, etc. And when you get back, give those poor chickens more ventilation! 1 square foot of vent area per bird for 24/7/365 ventilation regardless of weather, and more for heat waves.
x2. You'll need to find a way to provide better ventilation/shade/temperature control during the hot spell. Heat is more deadly than cold, however I would not risk doing early integration while you're not there to supervise.

Back
Top Bottom