4 week old chicks cockerel or pullet?

In my experience, making cockerels pets teaches them they don't have to respect you. I wouldn't handle them at all.
Oh, it worked for my roo. He has never attacked me and as a chick I handled him every day. Maybe he is just special. He attacks my mom, and she never held him. But, I did have another roo who when he was a cockerel he would fly up on my head and shoulder to say hi, but then when I put him out with everyone else, he started attacking me. Same with my other cockerel. The two that were jerks have new homes with friends of mine who wanted them.

In my experience, making cockerels pets teaches them they don't have to respect you. I wouldn't handle them at all.
Would have to disagree with you on this
Was so attached to my first ever batch of chicks, the roosters matured to be babies
They followed me everywhere and when I stopped they'd step onto my feet just to pick them up for kisses and baby talk
Then came the minac in the second set, I didn't handle him much cus I didn't see no need since he wasn't going to stay
He was a menace fighting every moving thing in sight

Would have to disagree with you on this
Was so attached to my first ever batch of chicks, the roosters matured to be babies
They followed me everywhere and when I stopped they'd step onto my feet just to pick them up for kisses and baby talk
Then came the minac in the second set, I didn't handle him much cus I didn't see no need since he wasn't going to stay
He was a menace fighting every moving thing in sight
That's why I said in my experience. Plenty of other people have coddled their cockerels and had them turn into nasty roosters. Then raised cockerels hands-off and have them be very polite.

We all have different opinions. @DIKAs chickens thinks that if you handle them they are nice, and @Overo Mare thinks that not handling them make them nice. I am in between the both of you, although I am leaning a little more towards handling them more makes them nice. Just an opinion though. I also think that it depends on the cockerel or rooster.

Oh What happend here 🤣
I have raised 2 roosters in the past
PXL_20220625_060728087.jpg

20221125_165503-01.jpeg

20221129_163932.jpg

I babied them alot as you can see and got them very used to me. They were very well behaved roosters and were very used to me. However, my brahma did have a stage where he would attack my shoe randomly when he got older but he never attacked me, but overall a very well behaved rooster and respected me alot. My barnevelder was also very well behaved and was babied ALOT. I guess every rooster is different and everyone has different experiences. I've also never raised a hen so it's quite exciting to raise one.
Excited to see how my 2 cockerel chicks will be!

Back
Top Bottom