4 week old chicks, splayed legs

Some chickens can have mareks and show no symptoms. It's actually very common in backyard flocks and most people don't even know their flock has it.
That's actually what I was just reading on a website about Mareks. This sucks.... I am praying it was an incubation issue, but I am fearing the worst. They were all just fine, then boom splay leg outwards, splay leg inwards, now another starting to show signs of outward splayed leg. Are they all going to get this? Do I keep isolating as they go down with this, or am I going to need to cull the whole lot we hatched? 😪

Since they're sharing a brooder the probability of all the chicks getting it is pretty high. And them being so young doesn't help.
Okay, thank you. I'm wiped out here and desperately need sleep. I've got the 3 isolated from the rest for the night. Its 4am here I've got to get some sleep. Im going to thoroughly disinfect the brooder tomorrow as soon as I wake up, and pray for the best. It doesn't sound too good of a prognosis though. I'm absolutely heart broken. Now I'm hoping we have been careful enough, that we didn't contaminate anyone outside. 😔

Update: chicks 1 & 2 still splay legged, chick 3 now is not. All chicks in this hatch are still little carnivores and eating normally and with much enthusiasm. I've pulled and read the tag off the Purina medicated chick starter, there is no Vitamin B1 listed!! I started them all on water with Drench and Rooster Booster. I realize this could be Mareks, but I'm more prone to think vitamin deficiency and incubation issues, and possibly malnutrition from the hens that laid the eggs we incubated. Especially beings chick 3 recovered overnight like magic. I will keep everyone updated, and welcome any and all advice or thoughts on this. Thank you. 👍

I tend to think that this is incubation issues as well. Mareks never shows symptoms in the first 3 weeks of life ever, and most chickens tend ro show symptoms much later feom 5-25 weeks on average. Slipped tendons, leg bone deformities and vitamin deficiencies are common in home hatched chicks. Most of those except for vitamin deficiencies are seldom treatable. Culling affected chicks is difficult, one reason I don’t hatch chicks at home. Broody raised chicks seem to have less problems, and is preferrable to me.

I tend to think that this is incubation issues as well. Mareks never shows symptoms in the first 3 weeks of life ever, and most chickens tend ro show symptoms much later feom 5-25 weeks on average. Slipped tendons, leg bone deformities and vitamin deficiencies are common in home hatched chicks. Most of those except for vitamin deficiencies are seldom treatable. Culling affected chicks is difficult, one reason I don’t hatch chicks at home. Broody raised chicks seem to have less problems, and is preferrable to me.
Thank you for responding, and I greatly appreciate the feedback and information. I guess time will on all of this. I just hope my mental and physical state do as well. Taking 2 hours of every morning to take care of just these chicks and a pullet with a broken beak, is very time consuming. Thankfully the hubby has now taken on full responsibility of the outdoor crew, so I'm no longer being exposed to them, and having to shower & change clothes twice a day, just so I can take care of these inside. *sigh* The struggle has been real, we have been hit with almost every possible scenario here it seems. Although I know it could be worse, it just feels like I'm at the bottom of a deep pit with no ladder.

Please explain broody raised chuck’s?

Back
Top Bottom