4 week old chicks, splayed legs

May 22, 2020
Texas
Where to start... this wholeraising chickens thing has turned into a nightmare the past month....

1. My outdoor flock came down with fowlpox, within a few days of my incubated eggs hatching.

2. We had incubator issues with high humidity on dry incubation, still air, lowest it went was 48%.

3. We had 3 quitters, 13 hatched, one had to be put down due to breathing and crop issues, as he was withering away, didn't want him to suffer after 72 hours of trying everyrhing.

4. Have 2 chicks I have tried to correct splayed legs and curled toes to no avail, and need to cull tomorrow.

5. In the past 24 hours, 1 chick either dislocated or splayed her leg, separated her from the other chicks in a new location and gave her 1 calm friend. Now tonight the chick I put with her for company also has a splayed leg. Went and checked each chick thoroughly in the main brooder, and it looks as though yet another chick is slowly developing a splayed leg as well.

Can anyone please help me?!?! I am at my wit's ends and ready to just cry. This was not supposed to be so doggone hard. I am worried just about sick over all these pullets and new chicks. I have no idea what is going on or what to do. I feel like all I'm doing is constantly tending to sick or hurt chickens and chicks. Thank God I'm a homemaker, I have no idea how I would deal with this all, if i had a full time job outside of our home. Please someone, anyone help? Am I doing something wrong? Is this an illness or disease? Could this be Mareks or related to the fowlpox in my birds outside? We have been so careful, even changing clothes in the mudroom. *tears*😪

What kind of bedding are you using for the chicks?
The large flake pine shavings. The brooder box floor is wood, that was painted with flat red barn paint back in March for the first bunch of chicks we bought.

The 1st injured chick is now in a tote, I lined the bottom with an old towel, and covered it in the large flake pine shavings.

Other things going thru my mind... how would they have contracted Mareks? They are inside, they have not been outside yet.

Should I add Rooster Booster to their water? Could this be a vitamin B deficiency? Beings we had incubator high humidity issues?

They are on the Purina Medicated Chick Starter and filtered water from our system that is under the sink and also has a UV light. Is the water being stripped of necessary vitamins or minerals? We used this same water for the chicks we purchased back in March and they all did ok on it.

Back
Top Bottom