Need tips with splayed leg cup method

I’m sure there are lots of posts on this site about it. But if you want to google it, you could find an blog about it on 104 Homestead or I’m sure many other blogs. Just search for chick cup splay leg or something of the sort. Good luck!

With the baby I had that couldn’t walk before bracing I kept it on for two days and it is completely fine and normal now. I had another one who was more mild and could get around a little bit and I braced for 24 hours and it was fine. I’d suggest taking it off at 24 or 36 hours and leaving it off for one hour to see how they are doing. If not great, put back on for another 24 hours.
Thank You!

We did the test at about 30 hours and he was still a bit wobbly. Put back on for a total of 48 hours and that did the trick. I did find his right foot outer toe was angled flush with the middle toe as well. Splinted with moe hair tape to set the correct angle and 100 percent normal gate and motion now. At first the tape splint was tripping him up :) Then he got the hang of it.

Tips for the cup method.
1) Use a flat bottom cup. I used a coffee big mug. The old blue white speckled tin cups would be ideal.
2) Use a cup that is big enough around that the chick can stand up straight with its feet flat.
3) Use a cup that is small enough around that the chick can't tip over.
4) Add something with grip to the bottom of the cup. I taped masking tape to the bottom of the cup.

I can't remember exactly, but I think the chick was only in the cup for short exercise sessions, then it was back under the heat lamp. Kinda like going to the gym for a work out.

Back
Top Bottom