Need tips with splayed leg cup method

suwupra

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
Hey yall, I had a chick hatch two days ago with leg issues. She was sitting on her butt and couldn't stand (her legs are not splayed widely, it just comes out in front of her). Today I decided to use the cup method (bandage and rubber band method didn't force her to stand so I decided to forgo those) and after a few tries, it seemed to help! She could stand if she put herself up against a corner or wall. HOWEVER, she keeps doing this inside of the cup??? She pushes herself with her legs against the cup! Is this going to ruin her progress? This is how she sits outside of the cup as well. (I couldn't find any narrower short cups)
IMG_2448.jpg

I tried to put her in a half-cut toilet paper roll inside of the cup but she pushed herself out of that. So maybe I should try to put her in a full toilet paper roll? I don't know if that will cause her any issues.

Update:
We have some progress! I guess all that fussing and fighting with me this morning helped strengthened her legs some. I found a narrower cup at the store today and plopped her in and she was able to support herself while leaning against it!

IMG_2452.jpg

Thank you for this post - this is exactly like a chick that I have that was hatched last night. Just sitting with legs in front and doing that thing with the legs in the cup! Did you brace the legs at all? How long are you doing the cup therapy? Are you putting her back with the others when not in the cup? Thanks again!

Thank you for this post - this is exactly like a chick that I have that was hatched last night. Just sitting with legs in front and doing that thing with the legs in the cup! Did you brace the legs at all? How long are you doing the cup therapy? Are you putting her back with the others when not in the cup? Thanks again!
I did not brace the chick's legs. It just has never worked in my experience. I do the cup therapy for about 20-30 mins at a time then I take her out for a break. I repeat every hour or so. And I put the cup in the brooder with the other chicks! Once she was able to stand and walk on her own, I stopped the cup therapy and let her back with the others in the brooder. Today she was kind of limping so I put her back in the cup a few times throughout the day for 20 mins each time. I only use the cup therapy when I see that she's having problems. I have a heat lamp which helps her stay warm but I make sure to keep an eye out in case she overheats.

Btw, if your chick keeps doing that leg thing in the cup, try to find a narrower cup, that way your chick can't prop themselves up against the walls of the cup!

Last edited:
So glad your little chick is doing well!! I put a brace on mine earlier today, and thankfully the chick seems to have turned a corner and is able to hobble around now. I’m hopeful that it will pull through!

Hello,
We have much success by using this method. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-we-correct-splayed-legs-on-new-chicks.72873/ Time is ticking. They develop so fast. You need to band as soon as possible.
Best regards.
Thank you for this method and link!

We have one chick less than 36 hours old with the splay leg.

I couldn't find a rubber band so used kevlar cord which worked excellent.A bit of a challenge to get over babies feet though LOL. Lots of patience required.

Baby is up and walking around excellent and hasn't fallen over backwards once since brace put on. Couldn't walk at all prior just scooted and fell over constantly.
How long does the brace have to stay in place?

Attached pics of the materials and brace installed

Attachments

• Brace.jpg
    Brace.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Braced.jpg
    Braced.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Braced 2.jpg
    Braced 2.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Braced 3.jpg
    Braced 3.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Loop.jpg
    Loop.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Material.jpg
    Material.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Material 2.jpg
    Material 2.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 5
With the baby I had that couldn’t walk before bracing I kept it on for two days and it is completely fine and normal now. I had another one who was more mild and could get around a little bit and I braced for 24 hours and it was fine. I’d suggest taking it off at 24 or 36 hours and leaving it off for one hour to see how they are doing. If not great, put back on for another 24 hours.

Update:
We have some progress! I guess all that fussing and fighting with me this morning helped strengthened her legs some. I found a narrower cup at the store today and plopped her in and she was able to support herself while leaning against it!

View attachment 3760376
I have 2 that are splayed legged. I've tried the bands and they just throw themselves on their sides and peck at the bands. I'm worried they will injure themselves more. Can you explain how to do this cup method. I'm desperate for anything that will help. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom