Chick cant walk or lay down, not splay legged...

Amarie420

Chirping
Mar 18, 2023
My uncle asked if I wanted to try & save a new chick before he culled. I've had her for 5 days now & nothing I've tried is helping (did "fix" her original splayed leg, have used the cup trick, & I've wrapped her in a "sitting" position off & on to try to encourage her bones to form correctly) she hatched with her legs out straight & couldn't get up from her side. I'm assuming there were issues with vitamin defenciancy, as well as heat & humidity (was originally under hen, then moved to incubator) she does eat & drink, but I have to hold her in a sitting position to do so. Age can only stand when leaning against something & can take a few steps (also leaning against something) but then falls & just spins in a circle on her side. If culling is the only option, I'm all for it, the last thing I want is for her to suffer. But if anyone has any ideas, I'll try them!!

My uncle asked if I wanted to try & save a new chick before he culled. I've had her for 5 days now & nothing I've tried is helping (did "fix" her original splayed leg, have used the cup trick, & I've wrapped her in a "sitting" position off & on to try to encourage her bones to form correctly) she hatched with her legs out straight & couldn't get up from her side. I'm assuming there were issues with vitamin defenciancy, as well as heat & humidity (was originally under hen, then moved to incubator) she does eat & drink, but I have to hold her in a sitting position to do so. Age can only stand when leaning against something & can take a few steps (also leaning against something) but then falls & just spins in a circle on her side. If culling is the only option, I'm all for it, the last thing I want is for her to suffer. But if anyone has any ideas, I'll try them!!
I've hatched 100s of chicks, but today, for the first time, we have one just like yours. It's only 5 days old, and was splayed-legged, but fixed that. It's got one leg it won't use, but it works, so not understanding why. We made a sling out of some fabric and two holes for its legs and walk it around in the brooder. I've massaged its legs as well. These are the things we're trying, in addition to Nutra Drench water, but I'm going to switch them to Poultry Cell water tomorrow.

To post a video, you need to post it on YouTube first, then can get that link for here.

I've hatched 100s of chicks, but today, for the first time, we have one just like yours. It's only 5 days old, and was splayed-legged, but fixed that. It's got one leg it won't use, but it works, so not understanding why. We made a sling out of some fabric and two holes for its legs and walk it around in the brooder. I've massaged its legs as well. These are the things we're trying, in addition to Nutra Drench water, but I'm going to switch them to Poultry Cell water tomorrow.

To post a video, you need to post it on YouTube first, then can get that link for here.
I've been searching everywhere for answers, I'm assuming any chicks that have hatched this way either just died or were culled. Ugh I really want to help her 🥺🥺

Back
Top Bottom