HELP! Chick with twisted leg.

jessim

Chirping
Apr 30, 2021
I hatched a silkie showgirl five days ago and her leg appeared to be splayed. I hobbled her like I normally do for spraddle and splay leg. The next day, I unbanded her to check progress and it was not any better. In fact, the hip joint was swollen and it appeared that her leg was twisting out to the side of her body from the hip joint. I checked for slipped tendon and the tendon was in place. I rewrapped her legs, this time moving her twisting leg back into position as best as I could and gave vitamins. The next day, I unwrapped her leg and it went directly back into a side position. I felt up her leg and when I got to the top near the hip, I felt that there was some “play”. I don’t know how else to explain it. I tucked her leg under and in, and it moved into a regular position but there was no way for me to wrap it into this position…unless I just wrapped around her whole body. I hobbled her, holding the twisting leg as straight as I could. When she’s hobbled, she can move around. Just not well…she uses her wings to balance. When not hobbled, Her twisted leg shoots out to her side and almost backwards. She cannot really move in this position. I am at a loss on what to do for this sweet chick next. If anyone has any ideas on what to try, please let me know. I know I may have no option but to cull her. We have over 150 chickens, but this one just stole my heart a little. Pics to attempt to show the leg issue.
image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5588.jpeg
    IMG_5588.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5587.jpeg
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5577.jpeg