Is this splay / spraddle leg?

Slothinc

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I have a chick that hatched in the middle of the night last night. It hatched on its own but it hatched much later than the rest of the brood. I realized this morning that it can’t stand or walk. Its legs don’t really seem to be splayed out, more just straight in front of it, and it rests with all of its weight on its bum. I have but a brace on the legs but I am wondering if it may be something else as I still can’t get the chick to stand with the brace on. As far as I can tell the toes seem fine, not curled. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7508.jpeg
    IMG_7508.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7509.jpeg
    IMG_7509.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7510.jpeg
    IMG_7510.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7519.jpeg
    IMG_7519.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 19
Thank you! If it is splay leg, is there anything more I should be doing for it? I have some of the regular chick vitamins to add into water but maybe I will concentrate it a bit and syringe a little to this chick. I have tried putting into a cup but it just turns so that it’s bum is down at the base and the feet are against the side of the cup. Maybe I need a smaller cup, not sure.

If there are multiple chicks in the incubator than use a shot glass and
Put it in it, if not than double up a rubber band put it on its feet

@Mantisquailman thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice! I searched the house and don’t have any shot glasses but found a small measuring glass to try and use. Still not working great because the chick is able to turn so that the bum is down and the feet are against the side of the glass. But we will keep trying!

Attachments

• IMG_7525.jpeg
    IMG_7525.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom