HELP! Spraddle chick keeps falling on back

Chicks519

Hatching
Aug 5, 2023
I just hatched a few silkie chicks and the last one to come out has Spraddle leg. Without the brace it’s fine but will not stand up and I want to fix this asap. It is 13 hours old and I made a splint with a bandaid and separated it. It keeps falling on its back and can’t get up. I’m scared to leave it over night in case it gets stuck. The last time I went to check on it, it was on its back shaking….I don’t know what to do 🙁

Photos?

There article below is very good and shows how to hobble a chick.

You may also need to place her in a Chick Chair for short periods of time to eat/rest.

Sometimes, chicks with leg issues fail to thrive, so do keep that in mind, but keep working on her.

I'd also start giving B-Complex (1/4 tablet) daily.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/
3142400E-8A4A-4512-A9AC-AF6971BD1BE6.jpeg
It just keeps sitting on is back butt and falling over. It hasn’t stood yet at all.

Update.

It’s not eating, it’s a bit alert, sleeps a lot but still not getting off its bum. It’s not falling over today which is an improvement but not standing. I also noticed blood on the paper towel coming from its bum. I just put it in a chick chair sling…I’m so upset 😞

Update.

It’s not eating, it’s a bit alert, sleeps a lot but still not getting off its bum. It’s not falling over today which is an improvement but not standing. I also noticed blood on the paper towel coming from its bum. I just put it in a chick chair sling…I’m so upset 😞
I'm sorry about the little one, sometimes when they are last to hatch and have difficulties like this, they may not make it.
As of last night it’s turned a new corner!! It’s up and walking with the splint on, eating drinking and looking like a normal chick. Hopefully it keeps progressing. What a turn of events

Back
Top Bottom