Should I help this chick??

gyzmo

Chirping
Mar 10, 2024
I have a chick that hatched today but won’t sit upright. He lays on his back and just constantly struggles to get up off of it. We’ve helped him out twice, Once cause it looked like his foot was stuck under another egg and the second time because his wing looked stuck under one of the egg dividers. He keeps falling back over. He was our first chick to hatch and otherwise seems healthy but I don’t know if I should take him out early or just let him die? Is he dying??

Attachments

• 5255CFAC-3FA5-472D-84BE-79D547754F25.jpeg
    5255CFAC-3FA5-472D-84BE-79D547754F25.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 21
I usually take the dividers out before the lockdown, this gives them room to stumble about and get their legs strong. That being said, I'd let him dry off fully before putting him in the brooder to see if he will balance himself on his own. If he cant, you can try a chick chair.

I have a chick that hatched today but won’t sit upright. He lays on his back and just constantly struggles to get up off of it. We’ve helped him out twice, Once cause it looked like his foot was stuck under another egg and the second time because his wing looked stuck under one of the egg dividers. He keeps falling back over. He was our first chick to hatch and otherwise seems healthy but I don’t know if I should take him out early or just let him die? Is he dying??
When I used that incubator I took out the turner at lockdown but now it's too late. I'd leave it be as you have other eggs in there. Maybe when it dries a bit and gets some strength, it'll just be fine. If not, you might have a splayed leg issue but I wouldn't worry about that yet until the others hatch.

I just hatched 17 last night and most of those I saw usually wind up on their backs and flipping all over the place but always resting in between as they are weak. The were all fine.

Back
Top Bottom