Is this splay / spraddle leg?

@Eggcessive thank you! If you look at my first post, the last photo shows a brace I made out of bandages. The chick is still wearing it. Should I change it or does it look okay to you? Thanks!

Yes that looks good. Be sure to have a non-slip area for the chicken to walk on to get their footing. The foot hobble can be awkward at first, and you may have to help them a bit, but most get the hang of it.

@Eggcessive thank you! This chick still hasn’t gotten the hang of hobbling, it is still putting all weight on the bum. I’m hoping a little time in the measuring cup is helping. Is paper towel for footing okay or is that too slick for this chick? All the others seem to be doing well on it right now. Planning to put in paper bedding in a day or so (I’m sensitive to pine.)

Paper towel is fine to use with chicks. Hopefully, it is just splay leg, but it can be common to have one that never can learn to stand. I recommend using vitamins as well that contain riboflavin.

@Eggcessive I just took the chick out of the cup and it is hobbling around a bit!! Thank you so much! I have a little hope for this baby now :) I will try to syringe him some of the concentrated chick vitamins/electrolytes - I checked and they do have riboflavin, though it doesn’t say how much exactly.

@Eggcessive its just regular chick elecrolyte powder with vitamins and trace minerals. Brand is Pecking Order. Maybe I should try and find something that is more of a concentrated vitamin. I checked all my normal vitamins and don’t have a B vitamin supplement besides just b12, but I have some in a box that I will look through now.

B12 is only B 12, but you can use human B complex of the super B complex tablets crushed in a spoonful of water or in food 1/4 tablet daily. B complex has B 12 and all of the other Bs, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, B12, and more.

Thank you all for the replies, the chick seems to be doing much better this evening, it is hobbling around with the others just fine. I think this little chick is going to pull through, thanks to all of your help! I plan to leave the brace on for another day or two. Then try taking it off and see how the chick does. Here are a couple pics of it standing in the brooder.

Attachments

• IMG_7572.jpeg
    IMG_7572.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7566.jpeg
    IMG_7566.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom