4 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheryl1948, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Cheryl1948

Cheryl1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Randleman, NC
    I have two precious chicks that were hatched by my broody Buff Orpington. They are now 4 wks. old and at night are still sleeping with their mama in the nesting box in the big dog kennel in the coop where they were hatched. I have been leaving the door of the kennel open ever since the chicks were 3 days old. Mama has taught them everything. Will she teach them to get up on the roosting poles at night if I remove the kennel from the coop? Or, since she is taking them to bed in the kennel each night to keep them warm, should I leave it a few more weeks? I just don't want them to think they are supposed to sleep in the nesting boxes.

When I started out with my first chicks, I had them in a corral in the coop and then had the nesting boxes closed off until they were nearing the egg laying age. So, they learned to roost early when they could fly up to the poles.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My broody hens have pretty much all wound up taking the chicks with them to the roosts ... some take longer than others to decide to move, most of the standards do seem to do it around 4-6 weeks. I would wait until the hen moves to the roosts, and close up the nest then... Make sure you have plenty of roosting space for everybody and the roosts are easy to get onto for the chicks, ladders etc.

3. Cheryl1948

Cheryl1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Randleman, NC
    Thanks Kelsie. I will wait. I do have plenty of roosting space for more birdies and a ladder going up to the 2X4s. The chicks are already sitting on the steps of that ladder occasionally. I even saw Rachael, their mama, fly up on the roosting poles and they followed her up there for a few minutes. It is so sweet seeing her teach them how to be big girls. I have really enjoyed the experience.

My plan was to give the chicks back to the man who gave me the fertile eggs for hatching; BUT, you know how that goes. I have gotten so attached to them. I think they are both hens. I am praying they are, because I really don't want a rooster. That man has already told me I could keep them. I did pay him, but he didn't want to take anything. So nice of him.

Have a great day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by