4 week old Duccle Chicks - please help!

Oh no :( what do I do if it’s a rooster. I can’t seperate them and the laws in my area are clear on no roosters. I’m so so sad!!! I think it’s pretty much confirmed he’s a rooster as he’s making the “crow” face with the beak opening but no sound coming out so far. Fingers crossed that he’s quiet or at least that my neighbours don’t complain 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Oh no :( what do I do if it’s a rooster. I can’t seperate them and the laws in my area are clear on no roosters. I’m so so sad!!! I think it’s pretty much confirmed he’s a rooster as he’s making the “crow” face with the beak opening but no sound coming out so far.
Just to check: you are allowed to have hens, right? Just not roosters?

What to do:

--either rehome both of them together (no separating, but make sure the home is allowed to have roosters).

--or get at least one more female chick (or more than one chick if you don't know male vs female), so the female has company when you remove the male. To be safe, get at least 2 more females, so if something happens to one you aren't left with a lonely singleton again.

--or wait a bit longer and see if the other one turns out to be male as well, because if you have two males you will have to do something with both of them but won't have a lonely female left.

--For now, see if there is a definition of "rooster" in your laws. It may apply only after they reach a certain age, or only to a chicken that crows, or something like that. If there is no definition, I think you could reasonably say they are still "chicks" at present, since "rooster" is usually used for adult male chickens (like how a baby boy is not a "man" yet.) But chickens grow fast, so that won't work for long. It just buys you a little time to think and plan.

It is definitely time to be thinking about what to do, but you can probably think for a week or so before you actually do something.

Fingers crossed that he’s quiet or at least that my neighbours don’t complain 🤞🏼🤞🏼
He won't stay quiet, but I don't know how your neighbors will react.

If they are inside your house, that will make a difference in how much the neighbors hear any crowing. So you will have a bit longer before it could be an issue. Cockerels often start with semi-quiet crows and get louder over the next few weeks.

What do we think? They are about 5 weeks old now. The white one doesn’t have a tail but the grey one does. Are we set on the white being a rooster?

Attachments

• IMG_7588.jpeg
    IMG_7588.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7587.jpeg
    IMG_7587.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom