4 week old EE chick has only a few feathers......

AMHCox

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Connecticut
Out of the 27 chicks that arrived 4 weeks ago, all have begun to feather out nicely, except for one. "She" has a few feathers on her wing tips, and the rest is down. She has grown well, good weight, bright eyes.....

I've got her in the office with two runty chicks, because she needs more heat than the rest. Anyone have any ideas about what is going on?

4H Mom:(

Just sounds like one thats slow to feather out...I had a blue orp chick that did that last year but it finally got all its feathers...try feeding it alittle extra protein like boiled or scrambled egg sometimes...

My chicks are 5 weeks and I still have one that is waaayyy behind on the feathering. He (I'm pretty sure its a roo) still looks like a chick while the others are looking more like chickens. He is smaller, also, but certainly not to be outdone by any of the ladies. He is showing very cockerel like instincts: boisterous, highly energetic and of late has been stirring up the girls by jumping on their backs and grabbing at the feathers behind their heads (I think he trying out technique for future endeavors). Now that I put them outside during the day he struts around the enclosed area looking all important in all of his fluff while the girls fly around him with their fully feathered wings.
...look ma, no tail!
IMGP3603-1.jpg

Thank you all so much! I am keeping her in the house, warm, and hope she will continue to grow and eventually get more feathers. If she does feather out, we will band her to keep track, and not use her to breed!

Who knew that I would love having chickens this much, which of course means I WORRY this much as well!

Back
Top Bottom