4 week old EE's pic HEAVY

How can you already tell that they don't have beards? As far as combs, they do not look like the single combs I've had in the past, so I just assumed they were pea combs. Betty's coloring reminds me of a pullet though. (Can you tell I'm in denial?)

Sexing EEs based on comb size or color is very difficult...I have had them completely surprise me before based soley on that...HOWEVER, you CAN tell sex of EEs by the color pattern on their feathers much more accurately. But these pictures don't show any complete bodies. If you can get us better images of their overall bodies showing feather colors it will be much easier. I can tell you, the one that is starting to get the darker red feathers on the shoulders is DEF a cockeral.

PS: all these birds have muffs and beards...they just happen to be at that awkward stage between baby fuzz and juvie feathers. The muffs and beards will come back in and much fuller as they do their next molt.

I can try to get better pics, but as soon as I put them outside, they plop down and take a dirt bath. They did it for 30 minutes the first time!

my ee chicks had beards when they hatched and until they were adults i had 3 of them but different ages one just died today she was close to 12 months the father of my chick died a few months ago in winter time and his son died well he was killed by an animal but back to the point my chicks had beards and they never went away and there are beard less ees and none of my ees molted when i had them and the chick that was killed hatched last summer and he never molted and the female ee i had . i had her since she was 5 months old and she never molted for me and she kept her beard same as the chick i called babe

Yes, they all have pea combs. I don't judge beards and muffs until they are older as some take longer to grow theirs in.

I can tell you that for sure you have 2 cockerels, and that you may have 3 out of that bunch if the luck is not running so good.

Betty is almost definitely a cockerel...

900x900px-LL-da96f324_100_4857.jpeg
this is babe you can sorta see the beard the light brown well i guess you can see it pretty good the more you look at it this is how i like my ees born with the beard and i don't need to wait for the beards or if their beard less

Here are some body shots for Panth.

I had to put them out in the coop one by one so they were a bit stressed.

Betty - I got a good look at the red/brown coming in. It's at the base of the neck, as well as in the tail feathers

Unnamed

Jade - Pretty much just hoping these next two are pullets.
hmm.png

Taffy - very fast to grow feathers. Already has a good set of feathers on the back. The unnamed chick which is the same size as Taffy barely has any feathers on the back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom