4 week old hen with curled toes.

Masher2570

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2024
I have a. 4 week old hen that has curled feet they curl sideways she still gets around good just wondering if I can do anything for her
1000004162.png

I am not sure if there is a solution to this problem- but I wanted to let you know that I have a fully grown barred rock hen with curled toes that look similar to your chicks’. I can’t quite tell from the photo, but my hen has her two outer toes that curl out to the side. They have been like that since she hatched, and stayed that way — it doesn’t slow her down any and she scratches and gets around just as well as the rest of the flock. Wondering if she is still young enough that you might be able to attempt to give her chicken “shoes” to splint the toes straight? I’ll see if I can find a link to a video, I had looked into it with ours initially, but she only had two toes that way and it wasn’t bothering her any. Does your chick seem hindered by them at all or show any other symptoms?

If the toes can be positioned correctly, then a shoe might help. But if they have been this way for a while, it's likely permanent. As long as she can get around ok, roost ok, then it's probably not going to be a problem. Depending on how they hit the ground they may be more likely to develop bumblefoot, so I would examine them regularly to catch it early if it happens.

Back
Top Bottom