4 week old orpington starting to act different,,,,,is this normal?

sheilan54

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Hello all. First let me explain why i am a little anxious about this little hen. My friend and i purchase chicks on the same day at a local TS store. She had already purchased 5 orpingtons at a local flea market. She ended up with 24 and i have 11. At this time she has lost four or five chicks and i still have all of mine. My two buff orpingtons she gave me from the five from the flea market. Apparently the gentleman she purchased from is fairly well known in the community and also sells on a local network. As of today she has lost all of her orpingtons and i think one of the TS siver laced wyandottes. Mine all appear to be very healthy. Eat and drink very well and seem content and mostly tame.{ Except for a occasional attack from a high strung wyandotte}. All are featherd and we almost have their new home built. Last night i noticed the female orpington seemed to be having a problem walking. It's not bad, but it seems like she is favoring one leg over the other. She eats and drinks well but sits alot and will just go to a corner and sits down quite often. I beleive she has become the bottom bird on the pecking order from what i have observed. I change the brooder box 3 times a day. It's really roomy. I use only news paper and paper towels for bedding and everything is super clean and dry. I checked her feet and legs. No injuries or poop balls. Everything looks normal. I know that the two orpingtons or bigger and not as high energy as the leghorns so they both sit more. Is it possible that she is being bullied and is more submissive? I am concerned though, since my friend lost all of hers,but they did not act like mine. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Have you ever feed them a hard boiled egg before it is
all natural and great for them and full of protein which
is what they need so it also builds the immune system
just peal the egg and mash then serve ...
wink.png

Sometimes not all the muscles grow fast enough and
small problems occur .....

Thank you. How often would you suggest doing this. Night before last i gave them all some, but it was the first time they them..

Back
Top Bottom