4 week old polish, any thoughts on gender?

dixiem

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 27, 2011
We have a white crested blue polish we ordered from a hatchery with two other hens that didn't survive the stress of shipping. They were sexed. We didn't want the surviving chick (named Lucky) to be alone, so we went to the feed store and bought two more. Of course they were not sexed, I believe they are about the same age. One appears to be a golden laced crested bearded and the other a silver laced crested bearded. I am wondering since the white crested crest is so orderly and beautiful and we know she is a hen, does that mean the two other's, with wild and crazy crests are most likely little roo's? These are our first polish. We also have 3 Serama hens.

that looks like a sultan..., and the other 2 are indeed a gold laced and silver laced polish...sexing i would wait till they are older and the crest have come in more my silver laced looked like that and so far it appears to be a pullet

Last edited:
the one in the first pic is our white crested blue polish named Lucky that we got from the hatchery, she is the one we know is a hen cause she was sexed. thanks for helping. I hope the other two are hens, or at least one of them.

she's not blue shes completely white on my screen :-/ if she was blue her body would be gray. can you get a full body shot?
she would look like this

Blue_Polish_hen.jpg

as a chick she should have looked like this
WCBluePolishChik.JPEG
acm0145.JPG

these are white polish

white_bearded_polish_hen.jpg

and a chick (all yellow down)
adg0185.JPG

she's not blue shes completely white on my screen :-/  if she was blue her body would be gray. can you get a full body shot?
she would look like this

Blue_Polish_hen.jpg

as a chick she should have looked like this 
WCBluePolishChik.JPEG

acm0145.JPG

these are white polish 

white_bearded_polish_hen.jpg

and a chick (all yellow down)
adg0185.JPG
She's white on my screen as well.

It's way too early to judge sexes from these pictures. They could go either way. 8 - 10 weeks would be better for polish. They are tricky to sex.

I will try to get another pic of her full body out of her cage. Do they darken at all as they age? I am going to be so so so mad at that hatchery if she isn't blue. Ugh. I will still love her, she is a sweetie, but I will not buy from that hatchery again.

Last edited:
Well what I ordered from the hatchery was 3 white crested blue polish. When the three of them came, two looked like the pic with the three chicks, the chicks to the left of that pic, the darker ones. And the one in my pic looked like the one on the right of that pic with the three chicks that are blue polish. She had that softer shade of blue on her back as a day old chick. She is also in a lighted cage so she looks more white. When I take her out she has more of a blue hue to her. She better turn out to be a blue polish or I am going to be really mad, we paid for blue!!

Ok here is a couple pics of her out of her cage. She definitely has some gray feathers coming in.

Last edited:
Well what I ordered from the hatchery was 3 white crested blue polish. When the three of them came, two looked like the pic with the three chicks, the chicks to the left of that pic, the darker ones. And the one in my pic looked like the one on the right of that pic with the three chicks that are blue polish. She had that softer shade of blue on her back as a day old chick. She is also in a lighted cage so she looks more white. When I take her out she has more of a blue hue to her. She better turn out to be a blue polish or I am going to be really mad, we paid for blue!!

Ok here is a couple pics of her out of her cage. She definitely has some gray feathers coming in.
She almost looks splash coloured :/

Really at 4 weeks old, colour doesn't always stay the same. Wait until she is a bit older to know for sure..

Looks Splash to me, perhaps. Too young to sex though.

But whoa I gotta say, that example image of the bearded LF White is a NICE hen!

That's defintely a Splash Polish. Blue does not breed true so 25% will be Splash and 25% will be White Crested Black- 50% will be White Crested Blue. Nothing the hatchery did wrong just how the blue color works. Honestly my favorite is the Splash- they are stunning!

Here is my Splash boy- handsome fella
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom