4 week old silkie wont walk

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
She will try to walk but she barely gets along. I pick her up and set her down and she just flops down. She is bright eyed, and fine, but she wont walk.

It might be possible that she slipped? What should I do to help her? Ive never had this happen before. Her leg isnt swollen though. She had the same problem yesterday. Then this morning she was walking around fine, and now she isnt walking again. Do chicks pull muscles like people do? Will she be okay?

I'm new to this chicken thing and i had similar problem with my year and a half old hen that i got less than a month ago. she would walk on her knees and then she wouldn't. someone asked if it's possible she jumped down off a roost and sprained her "poor wittle wegs!!" so maybe that 's what happened to your baby. also as i was poking around someone had mentioned using poly-v baby vitamins and it made her babies more active and healthier within days! not an expert but didn't want to ignore your post. good luck!!

please give us more details..
what all do you feed?
what bedding are you using?
is she drinking water?

describe the droppings..color and consistency.

where is she being kept?
how long has she been like this?

check the vent and make sure it isn't pasted up..
do you have other chickens?

the Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..Enfamil brand if possible..no iron..give 3 drops on beak once a day for a week, then taper off for a week.
found at any pharmacy..

and make up this mix:
chick feed, water cooked oatmeal, or baby food oatmeal..plain yogurt, cooked egg yolk..make crumbly, not soupy...give a few teaspoons 3 times a day for 3 days..
also have her chick, or starter feed and fresh water available at all times.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom