4 week old sumatra with a twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmer_Dan, May 13, 2011.

1. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Not sure why but this girl (or maybe boy) has a twisted neck. She can't seem to stand up or walk straight. The others were jamming her in the corner of the brooder. I have seperated her, she seems otherwise healthy except that she cant' hold her head straight...... any ideas??

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    That takes me to all photos..sounds like wry neck, do a search here ..there is a lot about it

3. Farmer_Dan

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Poor lil guy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Farmer_Dan

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Did you do a search for wry neck? If you help him quickly, he can be saved.

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You need vitamin e, selenium and luck. I have not been lucky with this problem , so I have started adding minerals to the chick starter. I hope your chick makes it.

7. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I had to cull my little guy with wry neck.. I tried everything listed for it and he eventually wasn't able to stand up...

8. Farmer_Dan

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Yeah, going to try giving her vitamins and an egg yolk.... Probably cull her if she isnt' eating in a day or two... *(

9. TreesAndBrees

TreesAndBrees Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    Miami, AZ
    I know this is way late in the game, but how did your Sumatra end up?

My Sumatra pullet is having the same issue. She is about 6 or 7 weeks old, and just a week ago or so she started walking around with her neck and head completely sideways to her left. She can still walk around, and I believe she is eating and drinking, but she loses her balance a lot. I have had no luck so far, I have been giving her Vitamin E tablets and Brazil Nuts mashed into a slice of banana (for the selenium, vitamin Bs, and a good consistency, and she loves bananas). I might try Poly-vi-sol if I can find any around this small town.

I hope it is not genetic, I was hoping to breed this pretty little pullet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by