4 week olds freaking out tonight!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by usalbrechts, May 24, 2007.

1. usalbrechts

usalbrechts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    south east MI
    Came home today and one baby had flown out of her cage and was roaming around the garage. We then took about 8 of the 12 outside to play in the grass (in a little fenced in circle I made). Now all are back in the garage in their cage (which is 3 ft tall garden fence wrapped in a big circle, lined with chicken wire and topped with chicken wire). I have been just laying the wire ontop and that was fine. Now, I hear big time chirping and go out to find 4 chickens running around the garage! Put them all back and use clothes pins to secure the top and they are all looking up and squaking up a tissy!! Shoved a few pieces of shoe molding through the holes to make a couple of roosts to see if they quiet down. They have been sleeping the last few nights with no light since it has warmed up here in MI. tonight when I turn off the lights they all start freaking out!! So the light stays on for now. don't know why I write this, these are my first chickies, should I be doing something else? Maybe they are just all of a sudden feeling cramped (even more incentive to get the coop done this weekend!!) Well, I just write to vent (no pun intended!)

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Sure you don't have a mouse running around in the garage? They start scampering when the lights go out and try to get to the chicks food and that will do it.

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    If they have had light in the past, you might try dimmer and dimmer light to get them used to darkness; thats what i'm doing.
    Again, i'm drawing on my parrot experience so take this with a grain of millet,(or salt if you prefer).
    Birds can get night fright especially if they arnt used to it.

Also, my birds have wanted Out, more often as they get older, when I go near them in the laundry room now, I have to scoot by quickly or they jump up and peep for me to get them out.

I imagine, once I FINALLY get them out doors, its not going to be a very long transistion to having them out there full time.
    Mine are a little older then yours, but time restrictions have made me late on getting things ready... I didnt know we were getting chickens till my wife brought them home.
    My coop should be done this weekend too.. [​IMG]

Anyway, maybe they just want to explore the world and get scrared of the dark.

That was a whole lotta typing to get to that basic point, i must have time to kill right now [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  4. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I am in MI. too and whew it was warm that last couple days.......I think they just had a taste of running around and weren't done playing yet!

I've also read that if they've had a light on all the time that they tend to freak out at first when its off. You should "wean" then from the light, like get a really low watt bulb just so it's not pitch black.

Its supposed to be pretty chilly this weekend so you'll need your light back anyways [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by