4 week poults dying

BOrion

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2012
In need of some help here. Hatched 3 turkey eggs under a chicken 3-4 weeks ago. Poults doing great. Running around, healthy. Then one seems to lose muscle control. Sprattle legs, head falling back, then Died. A couple of days later a second one did the same
Thing. Only one left. I have more eggs due to hatch soon so would really like to figure out what’s going on. The eggs came from my turkey hen. Thanks

In need of some help here. Hatched 3 turkey eggs under a chicken 3-4 weeks ago. Poults doing great. Running around, healthy. Then one seems to lose muscle control. Sprattle legs, head falling back, then Died. A couple of days later a second one did the same
Thing. Only one left. I have more eggs due to hatch soon so would really like to figure out what’s going on. The eggs came from my turkey hen. Thanks
You can try giving it Corid. The age and the conditions are right for coccidiosis. You may also want to look through this thread.

Turkeys aren’t like chickens. If you make mistakes, they are very unforgiving. Poults hatch out with no natural immunities. The most common killer of poults is stress related from a lot of different things, examples are too much cold, too much heat, too much moisture, bacteria, crowding, etc. starting out, poults must be kept warm, dry and well lit. You must have quality feed. They will quit eating if poor feed. Starter feed for poults must be 24% protein or higher, with 28% better. Ground must be clean. I use sand if outside with a hen but my brooders are wire. Never use straw nor cedar shavings. You can use pine shavings but keep clean and dry. Must be DRY. What kills most poults is a bacterial spore called bordetella. It kills them between 2-8 weeks of age. This is caused by moisture under the bedding. I use oregano oil with piperine in their water almost from the start with growing turkeys. I buy from First State Vet. This acts as a preventative to blackhead and other diseases. Once turkeys are grown up a bit (past 16-18 weeks), mine are very hardy. Any specific questions? I raise larger groups in brooders but also utilize experienced chicken hens with 3 years or more experience raising broods. I have a 9 year old game hen who can hatch and raise poults & NEVER loses one.

Back
Top Bottom