4 week Quail sings to itself while sleeping šŸ¤

little-beep

Songster
Jan 9, 2022
I suppose this question is for those who have had a quail as an indoor pet. I have 2 babies now, the youngest is only a few weeks old. The other is 4 weeks and is very sweet (picture in white blankie is this particular 4 week baby):

I've noticed that at night if I go over and listen closely I can hear the older chick chirping contently to itself while it's sleeping. Does anyone else have quail who do that? It's soooooooooo adorable. The only other times I've heard it do that is when it's EATING or when I have it wrapped in it's blankie on my chest while I work on my laptop.

Do they all do this?

I think there are jolly ones by nature that like to do it a lot.

Mine generally make contented sounds after sunset when they return to the coop after being in the tractor all day. For context, my coop has two floors: the lower floor is wire, and the upper floor is solid with lots of litter and fluff, it's the lounge room. I leave some lamps on for them so they can relax for a few hours. I think for them, coming back to the coop is like us returning home from a long day of work. They fluff up, chirp, hit the dust bath, just chill out. One in particular walks around chortling to himself happily, like you describe. It's fun having an assortment of personalities in the flock.

I think there are jolly ones by nature that like to do it a lot.

Mine generally make contented sounds after sunset when they return to the coop after being in the tractor all day. For context, my coop has two floors: the lower floor is wire, and the upper floor is solid with lots of litter and fluff, it's the lounge room. I leave some lamps on for them so they can relax for a few hours. I think for them, coming back to the coop is like us returning home from a long day of work. They fluff up, chirp, hit the dust bath, just chill out. One in particular walks around chortling to himself happily, like you describe. It's fun having an assortment of personalities in the flock.
That is super sweet .... I think the 'chortling' is what I'm hearing --- like a really quiet kind of sing song chirpy sound almost like it's talking or singing to itself. So very cute.

So you take your quail out each day to work with you in the tractor? lol

Funny... right now my 4 week old is nestled in my hair up by my ear trying to take a dust bath in it! -- Unfortunately I found the little baby 5 day old chick dead this morning, so I'm back down to 1 chick :(

Back
Top Bottom