4 weeks of Permethrin treatment and still have mites! Help me please

Have you tried the more concentrated amount yet?
I am going to tomorrow, today didn’t work out how I had planned. I did treat them yesterday but only the less concentrated amount. Tomorrow I will treat the coop at the higher amount and probably treat it everyday for a week and the chickens in 3 day intervals I’m thinking

Do you know if permethrin is effective against Northern Fowl Mites? I couldn't find anything that said it was, but that means little, it's been a few years since I looked.
In many places the Norther Fowl mite is resistant to permethrin. I would try the 0.5%. If that doesn't work, I would use spinosad.

Not sure that's a poultry mite.
I looked around quite a few threads and actually found the one where you recommended the insect identification group on Facebook and posted it there. I couldn’t really get a good photo until I used tape and taped it to a white piece of paper. The one girl (I think a moderator?) replied and said it was northern fowl mites and showed me a link that looks exactly like them. Here’s the picture of mine. Thank you for that suggestion you gave to someone else that I found buried in some long forgotten threads lol :)
8716C96D-36E6-47F3-A425-21B363C20DE9.jpeg

In many places the Norther Fowl mite is resistant to permethrin. I would try the 0.5%. If that doesn't work, I would use spinosad.
How long should I give it with the 0.5% before switching?

I looked around quite a few threads and actually found the one where you recommended the insect identification group on Facebook and posted it there. I couldn’t really get a good photo until I used tape and taped it to a white piece of paper. The one girl (I think a moderator?) replied and said it was northern fowl mites and showed me a link that looks exactly like them. Here’s the picture of mine. Thank you for that suggestion you gave to someone else that I found buried in some long forgotten threads lol :) View attachment 2175496

Excellent! That's a much better pic than the other you posted.

Excellent! That's a much better pic than the other you posted.
Yeah it was frustrating because I could see the pattern within my naked eye but couldn’t get a good picture because they were moving so fast. I just can’t believe how many there are on my nesting box doors! I go to unlock it to get eggs and my arm is crawling with them. Good times.

Yeah it was frustrating because I could see the pattern within my naked eye but couldn’t get a good picture because they were moving so fast. I just can’t believe how many there are on my nesting box doors! I go to unlock it to get eggs and my arm is crawling with them. Good times.
I try to get smaller insects in a jar, then put in freezer for a few hours.
Much easier to take pics then.

Back
Top Bottom