4 Weeks old and I think I have most of their genders... (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbjmaker, Jul 28, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok my little guys are 4 weeks old today - Most of them I think I know gender on already, except my EE. The rest of the little ones are Mille Fleur or Porcelain D'Uccles. (Only one porcelain - you guess which one [​IMG])

Here goes:
    Speckles - rooster??? This one I still question

[​IMG]

Spice: Pullet

[​IMG]

Chucky - definately rooster

[​IMG]

Itty Bitty - the runt and a pullet

[​IMG]

Pumpkin - pullet who survived a falcon this week!

[​IMG]

Nutmeg - pullet?

[​IMG]

Rudy - rooster
    [​IMG]

Buttercup - pullet

[​IMG]

And last but never least - their fearless leader Bubby - my EE
    (probably still can't guess gender on this one)

Head Shot:
    [​IMG]

Side View:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your expert opinions!

2. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    anyone?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They are beautiful I think speckles is a pullet too. Both my male D'uccles had combs like your one roo at 4 weeks. Otherwise I agree with ya! I LOVE the porcelain.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I was thinking Speckles was pullet too.

It is a bit early to tell on the EE. Please post that one in another week or two and it should become clearer. If you see red in the comb over the next week or so, definitely boy. The comb is kind of thick on the EE, like a boy would be - but the plumage pattern is looking girlie. More pics as that one grows will usually help in guessing for the EE.

Jody

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I didn't think anyone would know on the EE. I was putting them all in the coop tonight and he ran back and forth following me until they were all in. I think he can count to 8. There was a 9th one named Mr. Sexy who did get ate by the falcon, so Bubby is now a nervous parent. Pumkin ended up with 3 talon marks on one side and a single one on her other side - recovered nicely, but still can't fly as high as the other ones.

My husband (who was upset) said "Well at the least the falcon had the sense to eat a rooster."

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Such cute chicks!!!

I'd guess your EE as a roo. It has a wide comb like all my EE's that I had to re-home because they started to crow! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by